Router Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Am about to order a mounting plate for my soon to be constructed RT, and would like some advice on which one might suit my needs best. Initially at least, I'll be using it with a Makita 3612C. I'm new to routing, but prefer to invest in quality equipment that will last and that I can grow into - rather than starting at the bottom and needing to replace it soon after. I'm not going for the high-end of the mounting plates, and would prefer to stay under the US$50 mark.

I've looked at the Rosseau plate which seems to get good reviews - although the 'crown' on it seems unpopular. I've also heard that the rings are a pain to remove. There's also one from MLCS. At this price point, they all seem to be phenolic rather than metal - which I guess is fine.

Ultimately I'd like a plate that doesn't need to be drilled by me, to accept the 3612C. It should be strong enough to support my "tank router" - and having a freehand guide pin will probably prove useful.

Any advice - particularly from 3612C users - would be much appreciated!

Regards

Matthew

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new to routing, but prefer to invest in quality equipment that will last and that I can grow into - rather than starting at the bottom and needing to replace it soon after. I'm not going for the high-end of the mounting plates, and would prefer to stay under the US$50 mark.
Since the Makita 3612Cs are quite heavy, Aluminum would be the best way to go. Incra, WoodPeckers, Pinnacle, etc would have good options for you. Otherwise, you could ask a machine shop to fabricate you a custom one, as you need to stretch your $50 a bit more to get a good insert.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts