Router Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to sound like a dumb question but I have a project where I need to take some ruff stock, make it look like a larger beam (to save weight... no load bearing). I then need to shape it.... I was planning on using my bandsaw but what ever I use the cut looks like a cut and does not have the rustic look of the ruff sawn wood.

In my younger days we made ruff looking beams using a small amount of blade exposure on a circular saw (wired up guard) then going diagonally over the made up beam...... No this is not what I want to do today....

I know someone out there has an answer so please share......

Thanks,

Ed

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Ed,

Just a wild thought here, but sanding against the grain with very course sandpaper might give the effect you are looking for.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ruff wood

In my younger days we made ruff looking beams using a small amount of blade exposure on a circular saw (wired up guard) then going diagonally over the made up beam...... No this is not what I want to do today....

I know someone out there has an answer so please share......

Thanks,

Way back when, I used to use a wire brush to take out some of the softer wood between the harder grain. It gave quite a rustic look. For larger pieces, some mechanical way to drive a wire wheel. Sorry I can't send a picture, the piece I made is long gone.
Best to you.
Mo Adams

1 - 3 of 3 Posts