Router Forums banner

RULER FOR FENCE- WHAT DO YOU USE

1051 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Rebelwork Woodworking
Hi all!! I am having fun modifying my Bosch RA 1171 table- Just installed a Jessem 2 lift and realized I no longer have a ruler to set the fence. I am thinking stick-em tape ruler..?

Suggestions? Thank you for your help

Barry -Wilmette, IL
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Hi Barry,
I had to look up the router table to see what you meant by a ruler. I've never needed a ruler imbedded into a router table to set the distance from the bit. I simple tape measure or ruler that had marks starting from the end of it was all I needed to set the fence. The variety of bits (in diameter and shapes) you can use to me seems like a fixed scale would be more trouble to use.
4D
Reactions: 1
Having a ruler on the table, IMO, is not necessary.
I just use a steel rule to measure from the fence to the centre of the cutter.
Remember, the fence does not have to be parralell to anything.
I'm in agreement with others who don't have an embedded ruler. I just use marks and a steel ruler as necessary. However, my setup is very basic.
Don't have a ruler. If precision is important, I use a set of machined bars to set things up. But you might consider drilling a quarter inch hole not quite through the table, then a quarter inch hole under the fence at that same point. Then your fence moves in an are. Clamp the other end. What's nice about this is that the loose end of the fence swings, but you can mark it's location precisely on the table, so if you're doing several pieces, you can use the final pass setting and all pieces will have the same finished thickness. Don't need that feature, pull the pin out.
Reactions: 1
Hi all!! I am having fun modifying my Bosch RA 1171 table- Just installed a Jessem 2 lift and realized I no longer have a ruler to set the fence. I am thinking stick-em tape ruler..?

Suggestions? Thank you for your help

Barry -Wilmette, IL
You can if you do a lot of production runs on parts. Once you know the the configuration , it’s not hard to repeat..
1 - 6 of 6 Posts