Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
I knew there was something, couldn't remember what it was, kept thinking of vinegar or lemon juice. Both wrong.

Herb
vinegar (maybe lemon juice) will remove the rust---eventually.
I'm soaking some tools right now to compare against Evapo-rust.
I tried the electrolysis--it works but had to do it in the shed away from ignition source.
Also was limited to quantity of stuff to be done at one time so I found that the Evapo-rust was a time saver

With the black "patina" that was left from the electrolysis--I just gave the stuff a quick water bath and then just wiped it down. Anything that couldn't be reached with the cloth got a compressed air spray until dry.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Dominik; how about using your tumbler and something like walnut shells or sand blast grit? Should come out immaculate.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Dominik; how about using your tumbler and something like walnut shells or sand blast grit? Should come out immaculate.
I think he is talking about his table saw, Dan. Sand blasting would work ,have to protect the bearings in the arbor from the grit. Can walnut shells be used in sandblasting too?

Herb

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I think he is talking about his table saw, Dan. Sand blasting would work ,have to protect the bearings in the arbor from the grit. Can walnut shells be used in sandblasting too?

Herb
Herb,

Absolutely! Walnut hulls, glass beads, corncob, baking soda, and in some cases lead or steel shot can all be used to blast. Depends upon the material being blasted. Example; baking soda will blast off paint and not hurt plastics, like tail light lenses. I believe walnut will do the same, but is a little more aggressive.

Bill

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
I thought Dominik had disassembled it? How else could he have done the electrolysis?
I agree putting all the heavy parts in the mixer at one time would not be a great idea...

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I thought Dominik had disassembled it? How else could he have done the electrolysis?
I agree putting all the heavy parts in the mixer at one time would not be a great idea...
You are probably right ,Dan. I have never removed rust that way, so didn't think of that.
Herb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts