Router Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new to the router forum. I'm a handy lady from Sacramento and just built a BEAUTIFUL Fireplace Mantle with columns. I don't know exactly what to do with my request, so for now I'll put it here.

I'm making some cabinet doors for book cases on either side of my fireplace with some 1920's glass inserts 1/8" thick. I need to make non-through grooves in the sides of my 3/4" MDF frames (2 1/4" wide) for the glass to fit into. I also want to make some mortise & tenon joints. What is the best way to make the grooves and the mortise given the tools I have? I have a hand router and a table saw. I thought making a router jig with a strait router bit might work, but not sure how to design it. I don't want to spend the $ for dado blades for my table saw or a router table. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings Ruth and welcome to the router forum.

·
Registered
23,784 Posts
Hi Ruth

This maybe the time for the table saw and dowel pins,just drop the door frame on the saw blade (some of the saw blades are 1/8" ) and put in the slots for the glass and then drill the holes for the pair of dowel pins in the corners...

Or you can make a easy jig for your router to put the 1/8" slots in place..if you want to see the easy jig just ask and I will post it.. :)

=========

Hi! I'm new to the router forum. I'm a handy lady from Sacramento and just built a BEAUTIFUL Fireplace Mantle with columns. I don't know exactly what to do with my request, so for now I'll put it here.

I'm making some cabinet doors for book cases on either side of my fireplace with some 1920's glass inserts 1/8" thick. I need to make non-through grooves in the sides of my 3/4" MDF frames (2 1/4" wide) for the glass to fit into. I also want to make some mortise & tenon joints. What is the best way to make the grooves and the mortise given the tools I have? I have a hand router and a table saw. I thought making a router jig with a strait router bit might work, but not sure how to design it. I don't want to spend the $ for dado blades for my table saw or a router table. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.