Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I used to do quite a bit of woodworking and bought a Ryobi R-600 variable speed router which I mounted in a router table. It worked beautifully, but then sat unused for several years until a couple of years ago when I started trying to use it again - this time for bamboo fly rods. The router speeds up and slows down whenever it wishes. I gather that this is not an unusual problem for that router and also that Ryobi does not make repair parts so I was looking at after-market speed controllers. The ones I've seen so far don't work on soft-start motors and I'm wondering if anyone has found a practical solution. I really don't want to try to use a 3hp motor without soft start even if I could figure out how to disable it and I think the tool has many years of life left if I can get past this issue.

Thanks

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,635 Posts
Welcome to the forum Cliff.

·
Official Greeter
18,790 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Cliff.

As you have discovered, soft start and external speed controllers do not go together.

Is it worth send to a repair shop to have the speed control replaced?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hmmm Fly rods . Welcome , Cliff . Hope someone on here can help . Does this mean you already make some fly rods ? I have some nice Hardy Bros Split cane ones safely stored in my loft. Where are you sourcing your Bamboo ?

Good luck anyway.

Rog

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Starting the router at the slowest speed would almost eliminate the need for soft start I would think.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's my understanding that Ryobi no longer makes parts for this router and one post indicated that someone found a switch for $125. At that rate, assuming that the switch could be found, the cost would be around $200 which would make it not worthwhile.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm Fly rods . Welcome , Cliff . Hope someone on here can help . Does this mean you already make some fly rods ? I have some nice Hardy Bros Split cane ones safely stored in my loft. Where are you sourcing your Bamboo ?

Good luck anyway.

Rog
I get my bamboo from The Bamboo Broker on the west coast.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hello,
I used to do quite a bit of woodworking and bought a Ryobi R-600 variable speed router which I mounted in a router table. It worked beautifully, but then sat unused for several years until a couple of years ago when I started trying to use it again - this time for bamboo fly rods. The router speeds up and slows down whenever it wishes. I gather that this is not an unusual problem for that router and also that Ryobi does not make repair parts so I was looking at after-market speed controllers. The ones I've seen so far don't work on soft-start motors and I'm wondering if anyone has found a practical solution. I really don't want to try to use a 3hp motor without soft start even if I could figure out how to disable it and I think the tool has many years of life left if I can get past this issue.

Thanks
the part is $20,03 from here Soft Start Circuit Board [36201470G] for Lawn Equipment | eReplacement Parts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts