Router Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Router hesitates when starting and in a couple of seconds or so gets up to speed. I checked the brushes and they are both about 1/2" long. Also there are blue sparks when running.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,323 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jim.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Jim and welcome. I'm assuming this is slower than normal? Does the router come up to full speed when it does get going and does it have full power? Usually, if it does, then it's not the brushes. Bad brushes usually result in lower than normal speed or erratic speed and reduced power.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My Triton TRA001 hesitates a second or so before starting and then goes pretty much instananeously to full speed. It's been that way since new and I always assumed it was normal.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Does it have soft start???

dirty commutator or the brushes aren't seated correctly..m

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
My Triton TRA001 hesitates a second or so before starting and then goes pretty much instananeously to full speed. It's been that way since new and I always assumed it was normal.
That is normal for the TRA001.

Reactions: Pounamu

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
Like Stick has said it could be the brushes tight in the holders or the commutator. Whilst this shot is of a Makita armature it illustrates the commutator which possibly needs cleaning with some very fine abrasive paper and scraping between the Copper segments. The way we do that is to grind the teeth off an old hack saw blade level with the sides of the blade and carefully scrape slightly lower than the segments.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Welcome...

Dirty commutator, probably...also...make sure the springs behind the brushes are exerting enough pressure on the brushes. Some tools have very long brushes to start with...1/2" might be getting there...check specs for your brushes to make sure.

How old is the router...?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts