Router Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
I think the needle bearing between the motor and the gearbox #15 went bad, and is probably chewing the end of the motor shaft. Poor design.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Voting for bearing...it probably fell apart and allowed the motor to hit the inside of the case...
Yeah but, why does it run as long as it does each time it’s turned on If the bearing has failed? Wouldn’t it behave differently after the failure? Turns on and runs normal - then shuts off. Just sayin’...

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
You can see side to side movement of the blade in the video so I agree it is most likely bearing related. Replace all of them while you are doing the repair because one going out could have caused a lot of stress on the other two and might cause problems later if they are not replaced. Having to break it down again just wastes actual shop time you could be using to build projects.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Yeah but, why does it run as long as it does each time it’s turned on If the bearing has failed? Wouldn’t it behave differently after the failure? Turns on and runs normal - then shuts off. Just sayin’...
In between runs the bearing cools down and clearances increase. As soon as it's running again the bearing gets hot very quickly and seizes again.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts

Good point, Brian...could be that phenomena called "FM"...(Freakin' Magic) :smile:

I'm guessing it never really comes up to full speed...although it would be good to know if it does or not.

Realistically, there are not that many moving parts that would create such a shutdown...bearings, keyway, brushes, motor housing, etc... If I remember the video correctly, the blade wobbles a bit when it is turned on...maybe that's the camera but thinking more it's bearing...

I'm sure Peter will report back when he's had it apart...

Reactions: peterbata
21 - 26 of 26 Posts