Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like the members opinions on the following:

Is there a comfortable pair of safety glasses with side shields that will fit over regular prescription lenses?

Are the available add on side shields for prescription glasses worth anything?

Of the above would you recommend one brand and/or one style over another?

One supplier over another?

Full face shield is not really an option.

Thank you.

smitty

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,193 Posts
I bought this pair from Infinity Cutting tools. They arrived this morning and I wore them for several hours in the shop. They are very comfortable and I truly could not tell I was wearing them. They fit over my regular glasses like a charm. Here's the link: Over-the-glasses safety glasses.

Reactions: Nickp and chessnut2

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,782 Posts
Some of my guys use Prescription Safety Glasses | Prescription Safety Eyewear | Bifocal Safety Glasses | Rx Safety

I use these UVEX glasses, they can be a little heavy until you get used to them, but they fit my bigger than average melon.
Uvex Astro OTG 3001 | Eye and Face Protection | Honeywell Safety

We have a couple of clip on side shields for visitors, I particularly don't care for either style, but some guys swear by them.
PIP 252-FX-0001 100% Vinyl Universal Flex Sideshields | FullSource.com

https://www.amazon.com/B26-Safety-Glasses-Shields-Eyeglasses/dp/B007X3LMJK

https://www.industrialsafety.com/3M...65572621.htm?gclid=CKX_0cb3qM8CFYqIfgodT5EDww

My biggest problem with all of the clip on side shields is the bad optics. I would rather they be totally opaque.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I like how clear the side shield part is. The place I used to work required us to use the clip-on shields, and peripheral vision was almost nil. There were a lot of close calls from people stepping into the aisles with oncoming fork truck traffic closing fast.

·
Premium Member
19,226 Posts
Most opticians can make up a pair of plano (No Rx) glasses, but if you want one with your Rx in it, you will have to see an optometrist or if necessary, an ophthalmologist. If you are much older than 40, you need to emphasize to the doctor that your using these for near work. Take a tape measure and measure your usual working distance. If you want an oversized lens (wraparound), you will likely have to get a bifocal with a line. I don't think anyone is making a progressive (no line) in wrap around. I have a great pair of sun glasses that wrap around, just too dark for shop use.

I like Oliver's solution best of anything I've seen so far to wear over normal sized glasses. But if you have a really large pair of glasses, they might not quite fit. The pair Oliver suggested is only about $7, so you can order several pair , given that so many of us have the put-em-down-somewhere-but-I-can't-remember-where syndrome. That means at least 4 pair for me.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I also have a very large melon for a head and Norton 18000 or 18001 safety glasses fit over my glasses with ease and they are light and also very cheap. I think they are only $2-3 here in Canada.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I like the side shields but I also know that your regular glasses are probably not safety rated. The last company I worked for paid for a pair of prescription safety glasses every year and since my prescription did not change one year I had them make a set with the bifocals in the top instead of the bottom for working on over head projects, it sure saved your neck by the end of the day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts