Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older 2 older craftsman router tables that required the router to be mounted to the table top. Changing bits is hard to do from below the table despite removing the plastic shields etc. Until I get around to making another table or getting enough money to buy one I was wondering about the use of an exterder shaft.

Several companies make them and they all claim they are balanced etc. But I worry about how safe they really are.

In case I'm not explaning myself well.... What I'm talking about is a part that slips in the router like a bit does then extends the location where the bit mounts about 1 1/4" allowing the bit changing to be done above the table.

Comments anyone?

Ed

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
reible said:
I have an older 2 older craftsman router tables that required the router to be mounted to the table top. Changing bits is hard to do from below the table despite removing the plastic shields etc. Until I get around to making another table or getting enough money to buy one I was wondering about the use of an exterder shaft.

Several companies make them and they all claim they are balanced etc. But I worry about how safe they really are.

In case I'm not explaning myself well.... What I'm talking about is a part that slips in the router like a bit does then extends the location where the bit mounts about 1 1/4" allowing the bit changing to be done above the table.

Comments anyone?

Ed
No one responded to this so I'm reposting it with a picture attached so YOU know what I'm asking about.

Ed

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
I have an extension for my router table wasn't quite the same type you have I have one with the regulor one with a 1/2" collet and was warned about using the bigger molding bits they basicly told me to keep it for the smaller things such round over bits and hope for the best. They told me about vibration and the flex of the extension and the worry of it loosing while it is runnning.

·
The Router Guys
768 Posts
Only thing I see is the add on collet will reduce the depth of cut on your plunge router. And a dumb question: "the add on collet is balanced, right?"

·
Registered
3 Posts
extension for table top routers

:D i am using the "EXTREME EXTENSION" router extension in a DEWALT 625 router- works great!!
reible said:

Comments anyone? i am using the "extreme extension" in a dewalt 625 router - it works great!!! - get a t-wrench hex to match allen wrench that comes with extension. woodfox

Ed

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
You are using older router to extend the shafts lenght. Any runout will be greater at the end of the extension.
Bearing wear vibration may also be increased.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE to this post

I ordered an xtreme xtension and have it sitting next to me as I type this. I was happy until I read down to the Maintenance part of the insturctions. Now I will quote what is written there.

"Under extreme load the locking wedge is designed to automatically tighten onto the bit's shaft. If this occurs a slight burr will be left on the bit's shaft. Use a metal file to gently remove only the burrs raised edge. Under normal use the locking wedge can leave a slight impression in the shank of some router bits. This will not affect the accuracy or performance ot the extension or bit"

Just wanted you to know in case you decide to order one.......

Ed

·
Registered
1 Posts
1/4" collet extension???

I have a Ryobi plunge router with a 1/4" collet. I made a router table this past weekend, but as you all know, now I need a collet extension. Does anyone make an extension for a 1/4" collet?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bit extender

reible said:

Comments anyone?

Ed

Ed, try this web site. http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/

g-man

·
Registered
38 Posts
ejant said:
You are using older router to extend the shafts lenght. Any runout will be greater at the end of the extension.
Bearing wear vibration may also be increased.
I agree,I think possible bearing wear would be of outmost concern.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Can’t understand why the router manufacturers don’t make the shafts say 1/2” longer in order to avoid the depth problem.

The other solution is to make the table top 1/4” thick but this translates to other problems

I don’t like shaft extensions – don’t trust them.

So, there is no win win solution, only compromise

1 - 14 of 14 Posts