Router Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Short version. First re saw blade 3/4" Woodslicer.It cut well I was happy. Second re saw blade same as first Woodslicer 3/4". It dulled quick, not happy. Third re saw blade got the Timer Wolf 1/2" very disappointed in it.

All of the blades had fairly dried small logs to square up and then slice. My band saw is a Grizzly 14" with riser 1hp and though not the hp you would like, yes you can re saw on it.

I am looking to buy a new re saw blade the 3 I am considering is the Woodslicer 3/4", the Timberwolf 3/4" not 1/2" and the Re Saw King by Laguna 3/4". Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated especially I believe it is DFalkner who has Re Sawing down to a science as he expertly veneered a piece of mahogany for a guitar build.... Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22,041 Posts
I have and like the Laguna Resaw King. However, I understand that that type of saw isn't necessarily good to use with a 3/4 inch blade. The backbone of the saw is not as rigid as the newer steel types. I have had good luck on my Laguna usng a half inch blade, which I got from Laguna as well. I visited Laguna when it was in California, and they have this incredible machine just for resharpening the Resaw King blades. Expensive, but very nice results on my fourteen 12, and they can be sharpened several times.

This is a minor point, but I now use a stone to round off the back edges of the blades. Makes for a smoother operation, and on smaller blades, makes turning a bit easier.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have and like the Laguna Resaw King. However, I understand that that type of saw isn't necessarily good to use with a 3/4 inch blade. The backbone of the saw is not as rigid as the newer steel types. I have had good luck on my Laguna usng a half inch blade, which I got from Laguna as well. I visited Laguna when it was in California, and they have this incredible machine just for resharpening the Resaw King blades. Expensive, but very nice results on my fourteen 12, and they can be sharpened several times.

This is a minor point, but I now use a stone to round off the back edges of the blades. Makes for a smoother operation, and on smaller blades, makes turning a bit easier.
Thanks Tom. After the disappointing results from the 2nd 3/4"woodslicer blade I read (somewhere) about the 1hp saw and it"s better to have a 1/2" re saw blade thus the switch to Timberwolf's 1/2". That was a waste of money.

Yeah I'm on the fence. I just remember the quality of cuts with a 3/4" blade and it's hard to forget that so far that Woodslicer produced the better of cuts but Timberwolf has a 3/4"......... Then there is Laguna and the blade being the King of King's, the blade of blades, the Re Saw King. Is it worth 3 times the price of the other 2 blades? The other question is how much longer does it stay sharp and what are they (Laguna) charging for sharpening?

I'm not going to do a lot of re sawing but I do have a small stash of squared small logs that would be nice to cut when needed to have usable boards/veneers.

There is great pleasure to have a tool you can use and have quality results every time. I guess that's what I am looking for, turn it on make your cut(s) and you're done

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,322 Posts
We've had the Laguna 14SUV for about 6 years and the only blade I've ever used is the 1" Resaw King carbide blade. It is an excellent blade and resaws perfectly for what I do which is primarily fine domestic hardwoods and exotic hardwoods.

·
Premium Member
Frank
377 Posts
I use the 3/4” Timberwolf blade on my Jet 14” band saw. I use it to cut walnut, some up to 8“ thick. I have cut many board feet with this blade. The only problem I have is that I am so cheap that I think I can get one more cut. When I do switch to a new blade, I can really tell a difference in how easy it cuts.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use the 3/4” Timberwolf blade on my Jet 14” band saw. I use it to cut walnut, some up to 8“ thick. I have cut many board feet with this blade. The only problem I have is that I am so cheap that I think I can get one more cut. When I do switch to a new blade, I can really tell a difference in how easy it cuts.
I am also on the cheap side and have gone too far before stopping/replacing and basically have ruined some beautiful wood. Off topic but I recently switched from a full beard to a half bear and have had to do some real shaving with shaving cream and the works. I suffered through (cuts and all) what I thought were good disposable blades that I've used for years. I replaced them with a store brand and it was like putting on brand new blade cutting like a hot knife through butter.

·
Registered
22,041 Posts
Thanks Tom. After the disappointing results from the 2... the Re Saw King. Is it worth 3 times the price of the other 2 blades? The other question is how much longer does it stay sharp and what are they (Laguna) charging for sharpening?
Hi, I have not had it resharpened because I don't use it very often. I bought it to resaw logs, but have not found a source of hardwood logs up here in the desert. I'll probably use it to sweeten the pot when I finally sell my rarely used Laguna 1412. The blade is 115 inches long. Got old so my woodworking is pretty limited these days. It is really a smooth cutter.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, I have not had it resharpened because I don't use it very often. I bought it to resaw logs, but have not found a source of hardwood logs up here in the desert. I'll probably use it to sweeten the pot when I finally sell my rarely used Laguna 1412. The blade is 115 inches long. Got old so my woodworking is pretty limited these days. It is really a smooth cutter.
I had read for Laguna to sharpen it was around $40. The reason I asked was that price may have changed now from the date of the information I read plus I assumed there was shipping to throw into the shopping bag? It saddens me to hear of your age and all limiting your woodworking. I know it's part of life but..... Good Lord willing I will face that in another 15 years? Who's guaranteed their next breath?

I was thinking of Harrysin an hour ago and was wondering how he and his wife are doing. Harry has made it past the limited shop time to selling/giving away his tools. I have always had great respect for Harry and his teaching ability through photo's with instructions. When I joined the Router Forum both he and BobJ3 were great at answering any question and between the 2 of them you would always have an answer usually with opposing points of view from the 2 of them. Informing and entertaing at times :giggle:.Two ways to accomplish the same task... sweet! I hope one day to have half the talent and knowledge as them and to pass it along to others.

Tom hope you are recovering from the fall. :)

·
Registered
22,041 Posts
... It saddens me to hear of your age and all limiting your woodworking. I know it's part of life but..... Good Lord willing I will face that in another 15 years? Who's guaranteed their next breath?

I was thinking of Harrysin an hour ago and was wondering how he and his wife are doing. Harry has made it past the limited shop time to selling/giving away his tools. I have always had great respect for Harry and his teaching ability through photo's with instructions.

Tom hope you are recovering from the fall. :)
Hi Marco. I really miss Harry in particular. When I first joined in 2012, I had a big part of my shop and tools, and Harry was really helpful on methods. I know his wife was having serious issues, but I've not heard anything since. The fall was the first time I've had an uncontrolled fall. Was worried that I had caused a concussion, but just split some skin in my eyebrow. Black and purple, but improving. I have been doing a little shop project though. I'm good for about an hour or so at a time, then I run out of wind. Getting ready to finish up a frame for my sweetie. It's pine, and I'll finish it nice and light because it fits the painting. Thought about spray painting it matte white, with a little bit of gold or silver paint on the textured bands on the frame.

I am thinking about selling my Laguna 1412, 735 planer and Powermatic 6 inch jointer, with the DC unit tossed in and lots of misc. accessories. Just finding it hard to let go of tools I always wanted. I'll keep the rest of my stuff and let someone else have or buy it after I'm gone. Which I hope with be a long way off.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Marco. I really miss Harry in particular. When I first joined in 2012, I had a big part of my shop and tools, and Harry was really helpful on methods. I know his wife was having serious issues, but I've not heard anything since. The fall was the first time I've had an uncontrolled fall. Was worried that I had caused a concussion, but just split some skin in my eyebrow. Black and purple, but improving. I have been doing a little shop project though. I'm good for about an hour or so at a time, then I run out of wind. Getting ready to finish up a frame for my sweetie. It's pine, and I'll finish it nice and light because it fits the painting. Thought about spray painting it matte white, with a little bit of gold or silver paint on the textured bands on the frame.

I am thinking about selling my Laguna 1412, 735 planer and Powermatic 6 inch jointer, with the DC unit tossed in and lots of misc. accessories. Just finding it hard to let go of tools I always wanted. I'll keep the rest of my stuff and let someone else have or buy it after I'm gone. Which I hope with be a long way off.
Glad to hear you are on the mend.... Show a pic of the frame when done..... Me I'm taking my tools with me, having them melted down to form a slab!:cry:...... you and me both on the finish line being a long way off, Amen!

Reactions: jw2170

·
Official Greeter
19,988 Posts
@Marco , @DesertRatTom

Your above posts reminded me that I had not spoken to Harry for a few months, so I gave him a call.

He has finished his Chemo, and the cancer seems to have gone. He has to go for more tests next week.

Then he had a bout of shingles, which was not as bad as the previous dose he had about 10 yrs ago.

A friend took him to thebeach last week and it appears he really enjoyed the outing. He could walk with the use of a cane.

Considering he is 89 yrs of age, he seems in good spirits.

Marlene is still in the nursing home, and her condition has not changed much....

I did let him know that you were talking about him, and he seemed to be pleased that he is still remembered on the foru.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Short version. First re saw blade 3/4" Woodslicer.It cut well I was happy. Second re saw blade same as first Woodslicer 3/4". It dulled quick, not happy. Third re saw blade got the Timer Wolf 1/2" very disappointed in it.

All of the blades had fairly dried small logs to square up and then slice. My band saw is a Grizzly 14" with riser 1hp and though not the hp you would like, yes you can re saw on it.

I am looking to buy a new re saw blade the 3 I am considering is the Woodslicer 3/4", the Timberwolf 3/4" not 1/2" and the Re Saw King by Laguna 3/4". Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated especially I believe it is DFalkner who has Re Sawing down to a science as he expertly veneered a piece of mahogany for a guitar build.... Thanks in advance.
I also have a 14" saw with riser blocks that is underpowered for resawing, but I do it anyway. rarely on wood much over 6". I have tried wider blades like your 3/4" and didn't find they did any better that 1/2" blades. Just my experience even though everything I read said they should be better. I have used two kinds, Highland Hardware's wood slicer and Lenox Tri-Master. The Lenox cuts a wider kerf and I like it mostly but for the kerf. The price charged by different suppliers is almost 2 to 1!!! At least it was a couple of years ago when I bought my 105" blade. The two best prices I got were from Bandsawbladesdirect and Hastings Saw in N. Calif. I would suggest you go back and try another woodslicer first. A friend had an issue with one of the Highland blades but I convinced him to try another and it has been fine. By the way, I have the Grizzly resaw fence on my old Delta and think it is great and is easy to adjust for drift angle if necessary.

·
Registered
84 Posts

I've found on my 14" Delta w/ riser and 1-1/2HP that the best bang for the buck is a 1/2" M42 bimetal w/ 3-4 Hook T.P.I. M42 is 8% cobalt, which is super hard and extreme heat resistant HSS. It's used to saw stainless and other tough metals. It will eventually dull as even carbide does, but costs about 1/3 the price, and you can resharpen yourself with a diamond file. Make sure you get the .025 thickness, as I've found .035 will fatigue on 14" wheels.

·
Premium Member
Frank
377 Posts
I would like to point out that the feed rate for re-sawing on a band saw is really slow, at best. You cannot ”hog” material. You have to give blade time to cut. I would guess that most problems occur with a fast feed rate.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would like to point out that the feed rate for re-sawing on a band saw is really slow, at best. You cannot ”hog” material. You have to give blade time to cut. I would guess that most problems occur with a fast feed rate.
Absolutely correct! Trying to 'hog' the cut is what causes the blade to overheat because it can't remove the dust fast enough, and that causes exponential degradation to total ruination.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just a quick comment. While I have no knowledge of "Harry", I was greatly pleased by the most positive comments you all made about him. It is good he is still healthy and improving. Such uplifting commentary sets this forum apart. You are not only most knowledgeable, but you have very kind hearts and a supportive spirit. Thanks for the goodness you share.

·
Official Greeter
19,988 Posts
Thanks @Lawseeker .
If you search for posts by harrysin you will see what he has contributed to the forum over many yrs.

A great mentor to many members, myself included...

Reactions: John Smith_
1 - 19 of 19 Posts