Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone tried sandblasting signs? I figured I'd give it a go.....picked up this sandblasting unit from a local buy/sell ad for $75 lady said didn't think her husband used it......ummm no he didn't I had to assemble it, came with a bag of shot extra nozzles and extra window protectors....anyways here is my first test with it. I easily could have gone deeper put just wanted to see how it would turn out. I just quickly cut a decal and slapped it on a piece of pine I sprayed it black so you could see the difference....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
John
6,973 Posts
Looking good Tony

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I used to be a customer service writer at a garage and they bought a second garage in a different town. That town required that they use a particular sign for the building...one guy made them, and he did it by sandblasting. The sign was an oval, maybe 5 feet at the widest point... $5600 for the sign. Yes, it was painted, yes, it was very pretty and nice, but, that was at least 30 years ago!
So, I'd say go for it, and get good at it! <grin>

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Hi Tony,signs look good,no doubt.Can you tell us if any of the shot or blasting medium become lodged in the wood? James.

·
Registered
Paul
2,139 Posts
Looks good Tony. I remember guys doing the same with plexi and then edge lighting it. With wood it can leave an interesting 'wood' texture where the grain is raised... not the same with a CNC.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Sandblasting wood.

Try using Cedar, it will enable outdoor usage.
I have prepared signs for sandblasting (see attached). The resist is kind of a rubbery stuff that holds up to the increased pressure needed to go deep quickly.

If you want to go bigger, my advice is to contact sandblasters that advertise and ask if they do sandblasted wood signs. Contact sign makers and ask where they get their supplies. Graphic prep and sandblasting are worlds apart; most sign companies just prep and contract out the blasting.

I've prepped a total of three signs - all were of cedar. A 12" x 24" was submitted to the sandblaster with a larger sign. It was done for free because it was so small.

Attachments

Reactions: Roy Drake
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.