Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone hope all is well in the shop,?I need some info on the difference between Wet and Dry sanding.What is better and what is the reason for wet sanding compared to dry?Is it to raise the grain with wet sanding or what? Thanks Ernie.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Hello everyone hope all is well in the shop,?I need some info on the difference between Wet and Dry sanding.What is better and what is the reason for wet sanding compared to dry?Is it to raise the grain with wet sanding or what? Thanks Ernie.
Ernie,

Wet sanding is not typically used in woodworking. It is normally regulated to non-wood type sanding, such as metal. The water or other wet medium functions as a lubricant, forming a slurry which helps the cutting process and keeps the paper from "loading up".

With that said, in some finishes wet sanding on an applied finish is sometimes done, using very high grit numbers, to knock off minor imperfections such as dust nibs in the finish.

To my knowledge I have never heard of someone "Wet Sanding" bare wood.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Wet sanding is sometimes used after some coats of lacquer. Like Bill said, the water acts as a lubricant and helps keep the paper from loading up.

Gary

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
I'll wet sand lacquer to get a mirror finish...Alot of work, and alot of practice to get it down...but well worth it. I've also used wet sandpaper on plain ole wood and found nor noticed any real advantage to it.

http://www.routerforums.com/twoskies57-gallery/43384-chess-table-ii.html

Correction to the post: The finish schedule used was actually done with Automotive car polish's. NOT a hand rubbed/wet sanded finish. The walnut table in post #18 is a wet sanded finish. I like to experiment alot and sometimes its hard to keep track of what was done on which project. I appologize for any confustion.

Bill

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
ummmmmmmm.... WHOA!!!!!..

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
High praise from the guy who hates finishing (but eats cats).

Beautiful finish, Bill! Is it a games table?
First person that puts their drink down on that will be the last person I'm guessing (they automatically lose whatever game is being played...Russian roulette comes to mind)

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Bill,

Can I just ship my stuff to you for finish? Please, please, huh, please....

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
)
hates...
I'm sure you meant to say detests w/ a passion...

Reactions: billyjim

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hate is a strong word. Yet it hardly seems adequate when talking about sanding or finishing.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts

Beautiful finish, Bill! Is it a games table?
First person that puts their drink down on that will be the last person I'm guessing (they automatically lose whatever game is being played...Russian roulette comes to mind)

Yes sir Dan.. a chess is what it was designed for. Drinks on the table *L* I don't think so.
As they say "Hell with the dog, BEWARE of the owner!"..

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Hate is a strong word. Yet it hardly seems adequate when talking about sanding or finishing.
I"m kinda the odd man out when it comes to sanding and finishing... I really enjoy it...especially once its all DONE!!!

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I"m kinda the odd man out when it comes to sanding and finishing... I really enjoy it...especially once its all DONE!!!
I never start ...
so what ever is, is...
done before I started - good thing in my book...

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I rather enjoy sanding. It's kind of an art form - it has to be done in just the right amount. I don't use wet sanding, but often to obtain the finer grits; I've had to go with wet paper - but I use it dry on bare wood, I also do a fair amount of work with Corian and it sands great wet or dry!

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

·
Registered
688 Posts
Bill, what was the highest grit that you used to get that mirror finish? Do you ever use pumice or rotten stone?

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Hey Barry..... I must apologize first off. The finish you are referring to (post #4) is actually done primarily with McGuiar's car polish products. As I recall on that particular project, I did wet sand to get the surface flat and from there I used the polishs to get the reflective quality I was after. Here is another chess table I've done, this one was in walnut and the "entire" finish was hand rubbed and wet sanded. The picture don't do the finish justice. It is actually as reflective as the cherry table. Both finishing schedules produced similar results. As they say more than one way to skin a cat.

Here is a link to the short write up I did on the finish schedule for the walnut table:

Router Forums - View Single Post - Chess Table

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
you know Dan is going to want to set a beer on that world class work...

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
you know Dan is going to want to set a beer on that world class work...
If thats what its going to take to squeeze a beer out of Dan... I"m good with it...0:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts