Router Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been busy making wooden boxes. Image that!

Several weeks ago I posted pictures of wooden boxes that I made for little kids that I donated. I ended up making 13 for the Salvation Army to give to little kids. Our woodworking club made and donated 992 wooden toys / items for them. I think I have made around 50 of those that I have given to little kids.

I got a request for a walnut box around 4" high by 9 3/4" * 13". I ended up making three. While I was at it about a year ago I got several spalted maple boards that were 1 1/4" thick by 12" by 28". When I got them the moisture contents was to high. I took one of those and made two boxes. One of these I put dividers in it to be used as a tea box or whatever.

Several years ago I had made a couple boxes and I put a 1/8" diameter brass rods about 1 1/2" long through the side of the box and into the lid to make a hinge. The customer wanted the walnut box lid to pivot as if it had hinges. I made a jig to help me get the holes drilled correctly into the sides. I used quarter sawn yellow pine to test my jig.

The walnut and spalted maple has about 8-coats of Zar semi-gloss poly that I mixed 50/50 with mineral spirits. There is no finish on the yellow pine. Last night I posted these photos on Facebook and have several folks wanting some.

I also make funeral urns out of these same woods when the woods are available.

Malcolm / Kentucky USA

Attachments

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Very well done.

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Very nice indeed.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Malcolm, you are a master of showcasing the grain and placement of the spectacular grain in the sides, top and corners.. I love to see your boxes.
The people wanting them on Facebook probably want them free and you pay the shipping.
Herb

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Just works of art Malcolm . Third pic down , I can’t get over how beautiful the grain is on the lid . How I wish I could take a lesson from you ;)

·
Registered
815 Posts
Items to be donated are always fun to make. Congratulations on your generosity.
The wife and I are making a bunch of "stick" horses for a local horse club fund raiser. There is a big horse show coming up in March in SC and the "enthusiasts" will pay $25 per "horse" to have "stick" horse races. Seems a little odd to me but to each his own. If they sell all 100 of them they will make a pretty good profit for their club, which sponsors events for kids. The deal is they supply the material - we make them - they paint them. I didn't know there was still a market for such simple things. Go figure !

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Seems like the "simple" things attract the younger kids. Last Xmas craft show I went to the biggest seller was the old rubber band/clothespin pistols. Guy was selling them for something like $3 apiece -- couldn't hand em out fast nuff to the kids.

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Seems like the "simple" things attract the younger kids. Last Xmas craft show I went to the biggest seller was the old rubber band/clothespin pistols. Guy was selling them for something like $3 apiece -- couldn't hand em out fast nuff to the kids.
Wow. We made those when we were kids, and cut old inner tubes for the 'ammo'. We were too broke for anyone to buy things like that. Made our own darts too, a corncob with three chicken feathers stuck in one end (almost every one had chickens back then, even in town), and a nail sticking out the other end. With all the nerf guns and whatever out there, it is amazing that kids still want stuff like that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.