Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
David
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There really wasn't a need to do a video but I wanted to and that's about all the reason I need to shoot videos. :wink:

The upgrade is to place spacers between the frame and the rack on the Y axis so that the pinion will achieve 100% engagement on the rack. As designed, the pinion had about 75% engagement on the rack because the rack is bolted directly to the frame and that means you can't utilize all of the rack or the pinion would hit the frame (better explained in the video).

Several of us Saturn owners pointed this out to Nate and we discussed options for improvement. What Nate came up with is spacers that simply drop into place. I haven't had time to shut the CNC down but Friday afternoon all was quiet, no orders pending, and I figured this was as good a time as any. Good thing, too, because I got some Etsy orders today! Great!

Anyway, here's the video on installing the spacers -

David

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Get the bugs worked out. Think I'm getting closer to doing something....... even if it's wrong.

·
Premium Member
17,428 Posts
Great solution David, it looks perfect to me . I don’t see any reason to do anything with the X axis though .
How is the rack secured. Did Nate tap out holes in the steel frame?

·
Super Moderator
David
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, Rick, the racks came mounted when we got the frame. And the bolts are long enough for the spacers and the rack. So basically all I did was to loosen the bolts, slip the spacers between the rack and frame, then tighten the bolts back. It took longer to produce the video than it did to do the upgrade - LOL!

The only reason to do the X would be to get the rack more centered on the pinion.

David

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Get the bugs worked out. Think I'm getting closer to doing something....... even if it's wrong.
I do like the fact that Nate is supporting the machines that he already sold. That show a commitment to make sure his customers have the best machine possible.

I'm like John, I'm getting closer to buying and with the improvements to his machines I know I'll be getting a great machine.

·
Premium Member
17,428 Posts
I do like the fact that Nate is supporting the machines that he already sold. That show a commitment to make sure his customers have the best machine possible.

I'm like John, I'm getting closer to buying and with the improvements to his machines I know I'll be getting a great machine.
Same here Mike . I’d love a Saturn 4x4. I may end up with a Pro version from CNCrouterparts if I commit , but I think it’s a no contest as to who’s is sturdier .

Was a little disappointed with one of the Saturn’s sold to a guy out west . One of the cross pieces that the spoil board it attached too was an 1/8” higher than the rest .
That would be a little disappointing for me not having a good level bed off the start , and makes me wonder if aluminum extrusion is the best option again

·
Registered
386 Posts
Another great video David! It looks like those spacers should work great, I bet cncrp had the same issue in the past because it looks like mine have spacers welded to the back of the rack. :) keep up the video productions!!!!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts