Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made this sled for my table saw a few years back and wanted to share it with my new friends at the RouterForums.com. I wanted to incorporate allot into this sled so I started with having a good way to measure repeatable cuts, angle cuts, & miter cuts without making the sled itself too big.

I just slightly off-centered where the blade goes on the sled in order to put a stop block to the left of the blade that would go to 18”. To get the most out of this aspect of the sled I made a 1” thick block for the table saw fence and can cut anything up to 35” by just adding an inch to my table saw fence measurement on the right side of the blade.

I rounded over for the places where your hands go on the back fence, staining it with a gun stock stain and finished the handles with 2 coats of wipe on gloss poly. I used a “bolt down” method for the back fence of the sled as I find this the most accurate way of finding 90 degrees to the blade when calibrating it. I put a 3” wide zero clearance insert made from hardboard that can be unscrewed and easily slips out of it’s space to accommodate straight cuts, 45 degree cuts, and various size dado cuts (1/4, 3/8, 1/2, & 3/4 inch) all with their own insert. I have changed the inserts out many times and I am still able to use the same screw holes for holding them in and will just move them up or down when the ware out. I finished the sled off with miter fences that include stop blocks.

All hardware was purchased during a really good super sale Rockler was having while I got the nuts and bolts for the fence at the big box store and the rest was made from scrap material in the shop.

This sled is without a doubt the most useful jig I've made as I use it all the time. It saves me so much time as very little setup is needed to make crosscuts.

Attachments

·
Registered
779 Posts
That's very nice NickyP

Since I have a better table saw now I know I'll make one of those some day (when I have more room and time). I made a sled once for a little saw so I could cut down some large veneer plywood panels but it was a big old beast of a sled. It took up lots of room plus I no-longer needed it so I threw it out.
Now I'll need something like you've made and shown us.
Thanks for sharing.

Bryan

·
Registered
901 Posts
Very well thought out. I may steal some of your ideas to add to my sled.

Reactions: NickyP

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since I have a better table saw now I know I'll make one of those some day (when I have more room and time). I made a sled once for a little saw so I could cut down some large veneer plywood panels but it was a big old beast of a sled. It took up lots of room plus I no-longer needed it so I threw it out.
Now I'll need something like you've made and shown us.
Thanks for sharing.

Bryan
Thanks for sharing Bryan - glad you like it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very well thought out. I may steal some of your ideas to add to my sled.
Glad to hear Andy. I love "borrowing" ideas from woodworkers and putting my own twist on it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a very nice sled and I like the stain you used.
Thank you Walter - I too was very happy with the results of the gunstock stain with the high gloss poly finish. I appreciate your praise.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
top notch Nick...

Reactions: NickyP

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know this may be a bad question, BUT what is the benefit of the sled over something like the incra ts-ls and a their miter gage? I am still not able to get in the shop, but am trying to figure out everything that I will need first. I'm a little OCD about lists and getting things right the first time...LoL

Thanks

1 - 20 of 35 Posts