Router Forums banner

Saved $200 today

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  hawkeye10 
#1 ·
For the last few days I have been considering adding a Worksharp WS3000 to my shop. Today I didn't really have anything particular in mind to do and started thinking about sharpening some chisels. I been sharpening my own chisels since I was a kid and thought how much I really enjoy doing it when I'm not pushed for time (which is never at my age). So I went out to my shop, got my stuff out, sat down on a stool and sharpened some chisels. No radio, no people, just me, my thoughts and the sound of steel against sharpening media. An hour later I was ready to quit so I shut off the lights, came in the house made a cup of tea, and decided I don't really want to spend my $200.00 for a WS3000.

#2 ·
#12 ·
I have been sharpening chisels too and the Veritas Mk.II is what I use. I just got the part that holds chisels and I love it. Before I just used the one meant for plane irons. ""Big mistake"" It will not hold them straight. I also had to flatten my water stones.

#9 ·
@Stick486: I don’t know, Stick. I got a working system as is. You’ve heard if it ain’t broke don’t fix it and a penny saved is a penny earned. I might just keep my money.
can't do any better than that...

#4 ·
I got very enthusiastic about the Work Sharp, and it was great for regrinding some badly abused chisels. But since I no longer put my chisels away withought a touchup on a diamond stone, the machine sits idle on a shelf. Money wasn't tight when I bought it, but that's changing these days. Degfinitely getting more tight fisted recently.

#7 ·
Had a WS3000 for several years. Used it once. Sold it last month.
Been using that Veritas honing jig and, it works very well.

#8 ·
Way too many designs out there for jigs for sharpening chisels and plane blades for me to ever buy one. If I ever need one, I'll just make it. Here is one example. Honing jig - FineWoodworking

#11 ·
I certainly agree with the philosophy of don’t fix what isn’t broke. When I first decided to get serious about sharpening I bought the LV grinding jig and a white Norton grinding wheel. I also got a hard felt wheel and the green honing compound. All of those were good choices. The grinding jig re establishes the correct angles and a hollow grind that lasts for quite a few hand sharpenings and honings and the felt wheel starts a mirror finish on the edge. If you can easily shave hair off your arm then I’m happy with that. I don’t need more sharpening equipment than what I have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.