Router Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Another option for a pan is pie container. They have 10" pies at Sam's Club for $7-$9 and larger pies on occasion.

Worse case scenario, the plastic is punctured and you "need" to buy another pie.
Well there is that option but it would lead to a larger waist and that is an undesirable result for me. You see you need a few necessaries for that container such as ice cream. The cost is too high in my opinion. Increasing waist leads to larger pants/shorts, leads to more wifely opinions, to more doctor visits, to more accidents (cut container requiring another pie to replace and while you're there maybe an extra just in case it gets damaged again). No this won't work at all...........

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great thread Steve! and many thanks to you and all of its contributors. I very much appreciate this discussion because in the past I rarely have bothered with proper blade cleaning due to time issues in running my former little surveying company, but realize now I should have taken the time.

I kept track (I think) of the cleaners used for cleaning saw blades mentioned in this discussion so far:

Arm & Hammer Calcium Carbonate
CMT Formula 2050 - blade and bit cleaner
Trend Tool & Bit Cleaner
LA's Totally Awesome All Purpose
WD40 (not sure which specific product was mentioned in this thread for saw blades)

If I've missed any others already mentioned, or you have a favorite cleaner not yet mentioned, please add to the list.

Also, please indicate what you use to clean other blades and cutters; e.g., bandsaw blades*, jointer, planers, router bits, etc.

FYI & FWIW - Amazon reviewers give both Trend (18oz. @ $11) and CMT (18oz. @ $17) 4.6 stars

*Bandsaw Blades
Cleaning with the blade in place; clean with partial tension, full tension?; what of the wheels? Should they get cleaned with the same stuff? I wouldn't think lubrication on the wheels would be good...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Good question about bandsaw blades Kelly. I've cleaned mine with the Trend product but it's time consuming, not easy, and it does get gum on the wheels but doesn't seem to be a problem after. It was me that mentioned the WD40. It did a great job of getting the residue off that the Trend left on one of my blades which is why I want to try just the WD40 next time I need to clean one. You never know until you try as the saying goes.

I always un-tension my BS blade when I'm done with it so I would have cleaned it like that but I don't think it matters.

Reactions: Nickp and vkbellis

·
Registered
38 Posts
@Cherryville Chuck - I just cleaned my bandsaw blade - inspired by this thread! - and I first used a nylon brush to knock the bigger bits off and then a light spritz of WD40 on a paper towel to clean off the resin film. Tedious, but looks much better. I also ordered the Trend spray to see how well it works. Now, onto the resaw!

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Good question about bandsaw blades Kelly. I've cleaned mine with the Trend product but it's time consuming, not easy, and it does get gum on the wheels but doesn't seem to be a problem after. It was me that mentioned the WD40. It did a great job of getting the residue off that the Trend left on one of my blades which is why I want to try just the WD40 next time I need to clean one. You never know until you try as the saying goes.

I always un-tension my BS blade when I'm done with it so I would have cleaned it like that but I don't think it matters.

I used to clean my bandsaw blades the same way...now I take it off, twirl it down into the "storage" loop and place it teeth down in the cleaner...makes it so much easier than a few teeth at a time...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I used to clean my bandsaw blades the same way...now I take it off, twirl it down into the "storage" loop and place it teeth down in the cleaner...makes it so much easier than a few teeth at a time...
I've noticed that the Trend cleaner works better if it soaks in for a few minutes but it also doesn't work very well if you let it dry before you finish scrubbing the gum off so being able to dip it back in the fluid like that would definitely help.

Reactions: Nickp

·
Registered
218 Posts
Cleaning bandsaw blades:

In the community woodshop, we use a brass bristle brush. Keep the blade tensioned & rotate the wheels by hand while applying the brush to the blade. Similar to relieving the back of the blade with a stone to ease the back of the blade. A couple of rotations and all done.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
same here....

Reactions: Nickp

·
Registered
681 Posts

I always take the blade off of the bandsaw to clean it. I usually do this when I'm changing blades but occasionally in mid-use if I'm using the saw for a long run like a lot of resawing. It's easier to handle and keeps the gunk off of the wheels and the brush that leans against the wheel to remove some of the sawdust while it's running. I use the same bit and blade cleaner that I use on table saw blades brushing it with a tooth brush and wiping with a paper towel.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts