Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a break from the CNC build and went out to south Shreveport and helped Tim at Cut & Dry Sawmill cut 375 bd. ft. of Walnut, most of it for me. It took most of the morning but it was a blast and the smell of Walnut in the Fall air is just simply wonderful!! The 4/4 will be finished drying around Thanksgiving and the 10/4 will be ready around Christmas.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I would love to have access to wood like that but white birch is the only local hardwood. It the wood was green you should plan on a year per inch for drying time if air dried.

·
Super Moderator
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to have access to wood like that but white birch is the only local hardwood. It the wood was green you should plan on a year per inch for drying time if air dried.
Tim went to his parent's place in Kansas this weekend and got these logs. They are very wet but he has a solar kiln and said it takes about 4 weeks per inch to get it down to 8%.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Makes my mouth drool just looking at it. Do you have a specific project in mind?

Rich

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
@difalkner

Might I ask from what area of Kansas the logs were cut? I have a few relatives scattered around the state but never thought of sourcing walnut from there.

·
Super Moderator
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@difalkner

Might I ask from what area of Kansas the logs were cut? I have a few relatives scattered around the state but never thought of sourcing walnut from there.
I don't think Tim said what area. I can find out, though. He got it off his parent's property and said without taking another step there were 10 more he could see just like this one. So I gather wherever it is I'd say it's 'Walnut rich'.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
@difalkner

My guess would be the Eastern part of the state. Appreciate the feedback and continued good luck with the source.
Look forward to some great posts based on the wood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts