Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just joined the forum. I'm not much of a woodworker, I just kind of make things that I need, when I need them. Hopefully, if anything is left of this years tax refund, I will be able to buy my first router. After asking at another woodworking forum, I've decided on the Dewalt dw618pk. I've never had a router and the closes thing I've used is my Dremel with router base attachment. So, I'll probably be asking a lot of questions and if anyone can point me to the newbie area, I'd appreciate it.

-- Kevin

·
Premium Member
17,424 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kevin . You've come to the right place ;)

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Kevin and welcome. Another option in the same size range is the Bosch 1617 and whatever choice you make I suggest that you purchase a combo kit with both fixed and plunge bases or just the plunge. All jobs can be accomplished with a plunge but the same thing can't be said of fixed base routers. Have a look at CPO's site. They sell remanufactured routers at good prices and they are tested before they leave their premises. Routers and Trimmers | CPO Outlets

As far as getting help, all you have to do is ask.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
welcome Kevin...
would you reconsider the Bosch 1617EVSPK over the DW...

WHY I LIKE BOSCH...

2nd to none CS and support that's absolutely painless...
They respect us, the consumer...
they make tools that are real work horses...
they make tools that last a very long time... decades of hard heavy use..
they make tools that protect my bottom line...
I think/believe Bosch to be more an outstanding company that offers outstanding products...

·
Super Moderator
John
6,832 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum Kevin

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Kevin.

·
Premium Member
19,229 Posts
Glad you could join the fun. I am also a fan of the Bosch 1617 EVSPK kit, which has both kinds of bases. The fixed base can also be used under the router table with a hex key so you can adjust its height from above the table. I don't like the DeWalt nearly as much. I've accumulated several routers over the years but my 1617s are my go to machine for many tasks--light weight and easy to handle for free hand use. A couple of years ago I got a heavier, more powerful Triton that lives in my table. But you will be VERY HAPPY with the Bosch.

Mounting a router under a table of some sort, dramatically increases its usefulness and the safe us especially for a new user. You don't need to buy a special table at first, a useful table can be as simple as a 2x3 ft piece of very flat ply, spanning two saw horses, and a really flat 2x for a fence, clamped in place with the $3-$5 clamps you can get from Harbor Freight. You can search here for home made router tables, or you can go on YouTube and do a search there.

YouTube has thousands of videos on woodworking that can walk you through various aspects of woodworking. Of course, you'll find folks here love to answer questions and help you progress in woodworking. I wouldn't be surprised if Stick posts a bunch of pdfs on router use. You can also look for used books on router use by Bill Hylton. Used books on woodworking are usually just fine since the basic tools and techniques don't really change much.

You'll soon run into questions about router bits. It would be a good idea to post about a project you want to make and ask what kind of bit or bits you'll need. It is really easy to spend a lot of money on bits you'll never use, or were the wrong type for the task. Freud makes most of the general use bits for reasonable cost, and they're easy to get at Home Depot. There are many sources of specialty bits and bit sets, and accumulating them can occur over time.

Sawdust is pretty nasty stuff, so even if you're using your cutting tools outside, you should at least wear a surgical or 3M style face mask. Once really fine (invisible) sawdust gets in your lungs, it can't come out. So be careful about that from the get go.

You can wind up spending a lot of money on woodworking, so if budget is an issue, check out the CPO source. Accumulating tools over time is pretty much the norm around here. But there are some tools you can find that will get you started. I am selling my first round of tools, and using the money to upgrade. Look for yard sales. Many tools you'll find there are very lightly used. But I got my first table saw for just $300 on clearance at Lowes and used it for years. My son in law has it now and will for many years after I'm gone.

Again, welcome to the Forum, I bet you'll like it here.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,317 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kevin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, sadly, the router purchase with this tax return lost out to buying new shoes for my kids and other necessities. Now, I guess I'll just lurk in the forums and admire everyone's handy work.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My wife authorized a purchase on our HD card today - a new Ridgid R2401 router. I know it's not the one I really wanted, but it's something to get started with. As many have pointed out, I will no doubt accumulate multiple routers. The important thing is to get started. I need to call or email Ridgid, though, since one of the edge guide rods threading doesn't fit right. A minor inconvenience.

Yay! New router!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts