Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new bench pillar drill.
Its quite good considering its fairly cheap.
but it has a tilting table.
And of course, the indictated 90 degrees just can not be 90 degrees.
So, how do I check the angle between the flat table and the vertical drill?
Tried a set square, eyes say it looks good, spirit level says it isnt. But then again, why should i trust this spirit level? Everything apart from the table is round, so theres no flat surface to start from. Cant use a plumb bob because the bench is bound not to be true vertical.

Without waiting a week for delivery and ordering some stupidly expensive instrument, how to get the table 90 degrees to the drill?
Once its proven, I can make my own reference mark for future use.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The table can be adjusted by tilting the angle only in the one direction. My question is how do you square it from front to back? My Delta is out of square from front to back! Is there a way to adjust the head to be square?

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Good video Brian but a good small machinist's square would be faster and at least as accurate and faster. Just loosen the table clamp even to move it and swivel until the square is flush with the bit. I bought a 3" from LV just for jobs like that. I agree with Bob about being out front to rear. I don't know of another method than shimming other than taking it to a machine shop and having the angle corrected.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
I've got a HF drillpress, had it for years. Never bothered to check because it is plenty accurate for anything I use it for. But, if I did check it, I'd likely just drill a hole in wood, stick a dowel in, check it, adjust the table if need be, and repeat as needed. If it was out front to back, far enough to concern me, I'd likely fit a piece of plywood to the table, sand one side until the table is as square as I wanted it, then epoxy it in place. Shims would work, but I'd be likely to lose the shim after using it, it's a lot harder to lose a piece of plywood that is epoxied in place.

I go along the lines that if I really need a tool, and can't make it or wing it, then I'll buy a tool. But it's a lot more fun to just wing it. Hehehe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.