Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A simple idea that works so well.https://www.finewoodworking.com/2008/07/31/how-to-make-a-scratch-stock

Using a piece if hardwood 1" x 1" x 4" with a saw kerf cut 1/2" deep in the center, it will hold a modified 1/2" bandsaw blade that can be used to put a nice bead on the edge of wood quickly. I liked it so well I decided to draw it in Sketchup.

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
I've done something similar for years. I use a small length of 1/2" plywood, around 1/2" or so wide, bandsaw a cut into one end. Then glue the broken bandsaw piece in the slot. Very handy tool at times. Not especially pretty, but that wasn't the point.

Reactions: MYB506 and jj777746

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Great idea...

I'd add a nutsert for the bolt and a locking nut...
Finer ''hard'' hardwood w/ brass aesthetics???...
Soften the edges???
Use Sawzall blades in lieu of bandsaw???...
Grind your own profiles???

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I`ve been planning on making one ever since I saw the article. I think I would make it in 3 pieces to simplify it though and that would allow to put a t-nut or threaded insert like Stick said on the end of the piece where the rod would hold the cutter. So it would be one piece with that, a stop block on the other side of the cutter gap, and then a long piece on top of the two smaller ones to join it all together. I`ve also seen one where the slot for the cutter is cut longways on the piece instead of crossways and there are bolts on either side of the cutter to squeeze the gap tight to hold the cutter. The end of the rod makes a handle and the scratch stock is held at 90* to the work.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
make the saw kerf to depth as required..
change the block dimensions to suit yourself...
Kant the kerf to suit a need???...
dual kerfs, dual scrapers, one holder???...
Kanted and perpendicular kerfs in the same holder???

I think the long side of the block to the work is better for ''control''....

Reactions: jj777746
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.