Router Forums banner
21 - 40 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
That's quite the set-up! Very neat! How much time did You spend setting it up? Also, could You show how You cut the nuts? Thanks for posting! Great idea

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Mamuka, Welcome to the Router Forums! I am from the "other Georgia" - in the SE USA. Your skill set and workshop are very nice. Your photography skills are also very nice. I have a question... in your last series of photos, I can see external threads being cut - very nice and I can see how the progression is advanced via the threaded rod on the left side. Do you have any photos of how internal threads are cut into the chiseled wooden boxes? I have some very old tools that utilized wooden threaded parts (internal and external) - some are over 150 years old and I am amazed at how nicely the threads are cut.

Thank you - I AM VERY IMPRESSED!

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Welcome Back.

No problem I will fill my profile.
Mamuka-
Welcome back! Other's may not remember you, but I do. You first came here about 3 years ago. You have shared your work here in just a few threads,but usually return to add to those threads... like this one that you started back in 2010.

As I remember, you belong to a group where you all ply that same craft. I have always admired your work.

My comment to you and your work is that you have been missed here. You have a skill in what you do that other's here would love to know more about. You are also very artistic in your designs. A while back, I couldn't wait for my Sharon to come home to show her pictures of your work.

I hope that you could stay longer and share your interests with us.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Here you can see two new pictures of my screw thread cutting device with indexing device. (this part made from Soviet period old metal cutting machine).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Al, Thank you - that was quite informative and helpful to my endeavor!

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
This is a screw thread cutting machine special made for screw nutcrackers. On this machine you can make external and internal screw threads. (machine was build by me in 1996).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Mamuka - that is some beautiful work! I noticed you mentioned one of your woods is pear - that is one I have never used. My wife's (late) Father was a master woodworker and had built a few projects using apple wood. Have you had problems getting the lumber from fruit trees to get fully dried? With the very little exposure to fruit tree woods I've had - it seems the fruit woods take forever to dry.

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, (the other) Georgia

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hello dear Otis. Yes I have some experience with Pear wood. In 1989 some owners of fruit tree yard cut old Pear trees, and I bought it. I cut it into lumbers with different thickness. I painted ends of wood with oil paint ant put it in shadow. after two years I use it, I see that this tree MC is about 12-14%, but lumber is not banding and very stable. ( from this wood making scales) This wood is very hard and very good for turning. Polishing very good and until this time I have some pieces and make turning details. In the end I want to say that fruit wood I love and I collect as much as possible and recommend to you to use it...... Best regards.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Mamuka, Thanks for that helpful information. My late Father-in-law was skilled in many forms of woodworking and he did a fair amount of carving in his younger years. Several of his most prized carvings were made from apple wood. He also had some peach wood drying at the time of his death. He, too; was a big fan of fruit woods - but I've never had the opportunity to work with any.

Take care my gifted friend!
Otis

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
My woodworking consulting company Facebook page

Dear friends in free time please see my Facebook page: www.facebook.com/nanowood You can see more than 1 300 images and videos about woodworking. If you like this page please push on the like. Thank you in advance and best regards. Mamuka khoshtaria

Attachments

21 - 40 of 137 Posts