Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Harry screwing into the end grain is a problem but this way makes it a lot better. Thanks

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Nice idea. I occasionally need to do this and adding a dowel is a terrific idea.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Harry that is a good idea but I don't know if it's cute or not. It could be handsome and maybe even sexy but cute I don't know.
I like the idea, but sexy? :unsure: Nah :no:

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"cute" was the first word that came to mind, in retrospect I suppose that "clever" might have been a better choice. I do however like all your humour.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Great idea, Harry. I had seen it years ago, but never tried it, and had completely forgotten about it. Thanks for reminding me, because I have a project in mind that would be made a lot easier using this idea. Thanks!

Paul........using purpleheart dowels would definitely be cute!:smile:

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would imagine you could match the dowel to colors in the rest of the project (hinges, handles & the like). Like brass for instance. You would drill and thread the hole, then use a tapered head bolt. That would be a nice way to dress up a project.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You just came across this? It's been common practice for centuries, these days we even have cross-bolt nuts that are even stronger.

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't doubt it for a moment Bill and I'm familiar with cross bolt nuts which cost money, but many members including myself were not familiar with this almost zero cost method.

·
Registered
Paul
1,861 Posts
I've never used this method but have seen it before. You don't have to drill right through the wood if you don't want the dowels to show. (I know - obvious)

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I've never used this method but have seen it before. You don't have to drill right through the wood if you don't want the dowels to show. (I know - obvious)
Paul.........when talking to people like me, the obvious is usually hidden in plain sight. Thanks for that extra idea.

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I use it when I work with agglomerates to increase the screws fixation
This should make it easily understood!

Agglomerate
differences between agglomerates and ordinary ash beds or tuffs. Agglomerates are coarser and less frequently well-bedded. Agglomerates can be non-welded

1 - 20 of 21 Posts