Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking to replace my existing scroll saw which is a 40 year old Craftsman. I have found a Dewalt 788 Scroll Saw with a stand and light along with blades for $300. I am going to look at it this Thursday and wanted any thoughts and suggestions on if this is a good/great scroll saw to invest in?

I have looked at a number of other saws such as Delta, Wen, Ryobi, Craftsman, etc. but it seems that all of the reviews for the Dewalt 788 are very favorable.

Any thoughts from those that currently have the Dewalt or other scroll saws.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I have been looking to replace my existing scroll saw which is a 40 year old Craftsman. I have found a Dewalt 788 Scroll Saw with a stand and light along with blades for $300. I am going to look at it this Thursday and wanted any thoughts and suggestions on if this is a good/great scroll saw to invest in?

I have looked at a number of other saws such as Delta, Wen, Ryobi, Craftsman, etc. but it seems that all of the reviews for the Dewalt 788 are very favorable.

Any thoughts from those that currently have the Dewalt or other scroll saws.

Thanks
Unless you want to go to the higher end saws you won't go wrong with the DeWalt. I have a Delta, which is the father to the DeWalt and it is smooth and reliable.

$300 sounds like it is a little steep even if the blades and stand are included. You can buy it new with the stand and light for around $500.

I paid $125 for mine (used) and the guy threw in some "F" and pipe clamps.

I would haggle the price if you can.

Reactions: kp91

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I have the Dewalt and really like it. I am still learning how to use one. If I get the speed right and the right blade it cut smooth as silk and quiet too. The quick change blade set up is really nice. No wrench to fiddle with.

I paid more than that without the stand. You can't go wrong if is it not wore out.

Herb

·
Registered
144 Posts
I bought a DeWalt 2 years ago. after doing a lot of looking I really like it. I think Rockler has it now for $400 with stand

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've had a DeWalt ever since they came out with it about 15 years ago. Love it. I don't think there is a better scroll made at any price as good as the DeWalt.
Word of advice. Mine got to where the blade would come loose. There is a set screw to the left of where the blade is attached to the saw at both the top and bottom. The screw needed to be tightened with an Allen wrench. I use my scroll saw probably several times a week then at other time won't use it for months. Malcolm / Kentucky USA

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Malcolm,

Those set screws are used to adjust the blade to get both the upper and lower blade grips in alignment with each other. If they are moving, your saw is going out of alignment. Watch the blade closely under a bright light as it runs. If the blade seems to be blurry, then either the top or bottom set screws need to be adjusted to bring the blade into alignment. It should be a sharp straight line as it's running and not blurry. You should also strive to keep the blade centered in the table hole when you make these adjustments. A little BLUE (not red) Loctite on the thread of each set screw will keep it from moving on it's own, but you will still be able to turn the set screw if you use the BLUE Locktite, if you should ever need to again.

Charley

·
Registered
185 Posts
Russell, you won't go wrong with a DeWalt 788. I have that same scroll saw, a Type 2, for more than 10 years and it's great. The Type 2, designates that it is made in Asia, (if I'm correct, in Taiwan), they used to be made in Canada. The saw can be a little noisy but there are fixes for that on the net, the light didn't work for me (too hot) so I took it off the saw. I use my scroll saw almost everyday and I can honestly say that the DeWalt is a very good saw. I also have an Excaliber 21 that I use often, this is also a good saw, but in my opinion is not worth the cost. If the Rockler price is $ 400.00, I think I would opt for that. One last point, DeWalt has a program where they will do a complete maintenance on an old saw for about $250.00, and they claim the saw will be equal to new. I have not had a need for this service yet so I don't know how well the outcome is.

Good luck with your new saw.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've had a type 2 for five years, and it's a sweet running machine.....
It helps make me look like I know what I'm doing.....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input. It is such a dilemma whether to buy new or used. Rockler has a deal going on now until the end of the month that is you buy the 788 you get a free stand. $499.

I think I will still look at this saw on Thursday as it will give me some idea of the condition of a used one. There are not a lot of used ones out there. If all looks good and runs good I am hoping to pick it up for less than the $300 asking price.

If only that tree in the back yard would start producing money instead of apples, the decision would be much easier. :)

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Don't go with the Porter Cable. I did, and I don't like it!! It replaced an equally priced one (on the cheaper end of the spectrum), a Hitach, that I had for 6 or 7 years. The Hitachi was night and day, better then the PC.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
I recall seeing a fix for any vibration. It was a 20 lb sand bag laid below the stand. The DeWalt rates highest among the reasonably priced saws. All the cheap ones get poor reviews. It is on sale at Rockler, $499 with stand. Good buy. Amazon is $44 more, and it has near a 5 star rating there.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I am interested in this thread also I saw a saw that gets good reviews with low price anyone have this saw usually poor quality tools?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UKGL58...&ascsubtag=40c59e8d2fd9571d27ca711c3e3ff2e6_S
The Wen name has been around since the 50's. Never was a premium tool. Just so-so as I remember.They were the first to market the 3"X21" belt sander as I remember. It became quite popular and wasn't a bad tool. They also had circular saws and jig saws, and drill motors.

They faded away until recently a group of Asian businessmen revived the name and are producing bench top tools.

I have a 10" band saw ordered as I wanted a small back up saw to replace the old 3 wheeler I have and based on the reviews I bought a Wen, they had the best reviews of all the small saws out there.
They are a generic built machine, HF, Grizzly,Sears and others are selling the same machine. I ordered mine from HD. they had them on the Friday special with free shipping. It will be here next week.

Herb

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the dewalt with no extras.Used very little I will sell it to you for $100. You must pick up in Pasadena,Maryland
Frank
I would take you up on your offer to sell your Dewalt but unfortunately I live in Wisconsin.

Right now my plan is to take a look at this used Dewalt that is located about an hour from my house. I am bringing with some sample pieces of wood with some patterns on them and actually try the saw out and see how it operates. This will take place on Thursday.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
The Last Wooden Whaleship in the World....
Mystic Seaport, Connecticut...

CHARLES W. MORGAN

The Charles W. Morgan is the last of an American whaling fleet that numbered more than 2,700 vessels. Built and launched in 1841, the Morgan is now America’s oldest commercial ship still afloat – only the USS Constitution is older.

The Morgan was launched on July 21, 1841 from the yard of Jethro and Zachariah Hillman in New Bedford, Massachusetts. She typically sailed with a crew of about 35, representing sailors from around the world. The whaleship measures 106 feet, 11 inches length on deck with her beam measuring 27 feet, 9 inches. Her main truck is 110 feet above the deck; fully-rigged, and she carries 7,134 square feet of sail. The huge try-pots used for converting blubber into whale oil are forward; below are the cramped quarters in which her officers and men lived.

The Charles W. Morgan arriving in Mystic, Conn., November 1941

Over an 80-year whaling career, the Morgan embarked on 37 voyages with most lasting three years or more. Built for durability, not speed, she roamed every corner of the globe in her pursuit of whales. She is known as a “lucky ship,” having successfully navigated crushing Arctic ice, hostile natives, countless storms, Cape Horn roundings and, after she finished her whaling career, even the Hurricane of 1938.

After her whaling days ended in 1921, the Morgan was preserved by Whaling Enshrined, Inc. and exhibited at Colonel Edward H.R. Green’s estate at Round Hill in South Dartmouth, Massachusetts, until 1941. In November of that year, the Morgan came to Mystic Seaport where she has since dominated the waterfront at Chubb’s Wharf.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stick - Since you opened the door and shared about the Morgan, I thought I would share of what I have been doing concerning the Morgan.

The Charles Morgan is an amazing ship. I have been to Mystic Seaport a number of time just to look at her and take pictures of the Morgan. The reason for this is I have been building a model of the Morgan for the last 20 years. Yes, 20 years. With raising a family and working a job the hobby of model ship building had to take a back burner.

Now that I am retired, my goal is to complete my build within the next year. I am attaching a few pictures of the model that I have been working on. I have embellished it some from the original as well as keeping the appearance a more natural wood verses the actual black hull.

My wife and I will be going to Mystic Seaport this June for the Wooden Boat Show. It will be a grand time and I will be able to view the Morgan once again.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One thing I forgot to mention is that my user's name is 'morgantheship'. I selected this many years ago as I have read and studied the history of the Charles Morgan for about 30 years. You might say that I have have been somewhat enamored with the Charles Morgan whaling ship and the history that goes with her.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
@morgantheship...

WOW and double WOW!!!

before it gets too late this deserves a thread all it's own...
would you start a thread... please...

your icon picture looks like its from the village and your handle gave it all away....
couldn't help myself...

now for your reproduction...
AWESOME work and detail... I hope you are righteously proud....

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Getting back to Scroll Saw Selection.

As I indicated the other day, I was planning to go and look at the used Dewalt 788 Scroll Saw. I brought with me a few different kinds of wood as well as thicknesses. I pasted some patterns to a few of my sample pieces so that I could give the saw a good test prior to proceeding with any purchase. Well I was quite amazed at how well this saw cut. It was so nice to be able to easily attach a blade and adjust the tension and especially being able to adjust the speed. (My old Craftsman was only a fixed speed and it took forever to put a new blade on and adjust the tension.)

So I spent about 30 minutes cutting my samples and was very pleased with how accurately I could follow the pattern lines. And the smoothness of the cut was so good that little sanding was necessary.

I ended up purchasing the saw which included the stand, a light, and an add-on device called an Easy Lift. And an added bonus was a box with a good $35 to $50 worth of different kinds of blades, most of them unused. He also through in a folder that had 10 or so scroll sawing magazines and patterns. All in all a very good deal.

I brought the saw home and set it up and spent about an hour getting more used to the features. I am totally impressed with this saw and would certainly recommend it, even with my limited experience with it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts