Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife spent her adult life working with severely mentally and physically disabled 14 to 21yr old kids. At 5', 115lbs she is a tiny thing. In late 2012 she was attacked by one of her students, he was over 6' and about 250. He jumped on her back, choked her and took her to the ground. The result of the attack was a concussion, broken back and ended her career. She has recovered but the long term result is that she cannot stand for longer than 20 minutes, and that will never change. While she was working full time, raising me and the kids, with a few classes, she taught herself to be a gourmet chef and loves to cook. That works out well for me because I love to eat. But because of her back she can't spend the time it takes to make a meal on her feet. Since I still like to eat, and she still likes to cook, I made a kitchen island that she can sit at, rest her legs, and do her magic. I used Marc Spagnuolo's sculpted table as a guide: https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/trestle-table-pt-1/
This was my first attempt a sculpting, and it turned out ok, but it was more difficult than I thought it would be. Anyway here it is. Wood is sapele, joinery is loose MandT. I shaped an aluminum bar to fit a chamfer on the bottom rail, had it powder coated to match the finish and attached it with 3 brass screws. This allows her to rest her feet on the rail and not mar the wood. The finish is 5 coats of clear shellac, sanded between coats, and then 5 coats of lacquer, with the final coat "wet" sanded with a 5000 grit pad and lacquer.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
beautiful!!!!

·
Administrator
David
3,976 Posts
That is a very nice piece of work, Bob! At a quick glance, I'm not sure I would have noticed the powder coated foot rest if you had not mentioned it - good color match. Hate to hear that about your wife but glad she's turned that into something useful for your family. How long did your project take?

David

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,228 Posts
Nice looking table and a well done project. Like David, I never would have noticed the powder coated rail if you hadn't pointed it out. Very clever camouflage.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a very nice piece of work, Bob! At a quick glance, I'm not sure I would have noticed the powder coated foot rest if you had not mentioned it - good color match. Hate to hear that about your wife but glad she's turned that into something useful for your family. How long did your project take?

David
Thanks for the kind words, it took twice as long as it should have. I started it in beech, had a monster blow out at the router table and had to start over. Really glad it happened though the sapele is a much prettier wood. Once I had the templates made it went fairly quick. I didn't track the hours, but guessing around 35-40 total.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Bob
That is really nice, one of a kind for sure

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
I agree with everyone above sorry to hear about your wife's indecent, makes me angry just hearing about that. You did a great job on the table and you really did make that sapele grain stand out. Your sculpturing turned out good too.
Herb

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
VERY nice. Likely you would have no problem selling if you decide to make more.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, it took twice as long as it should have. I started it in beech, had a monster blow out at the router table and had to start over. Really glad it happened though the sapele is a much prettier wood. Once I had the templates made it went fairly quick. I didn't track the hours, but guessing around 35-40 total.
Bob the table is so so nice. You are a very good woodworker to make it. For a nice table like that I don't think 35 to 40 hours is very long. Seems to me you moved along pretty quick.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bob the table is so so nice. You are a very good woodworker to make it. For a nice table like that I don't think 35 to 40 hours is very long. Seems to me you moved along pretty quick.
Don, thank you. But I am going to agree to disagree about my skill level, I am working on it, but I have a long way to go. This was a relatively easy build, I spent close to 10 hours creating the templates for the legs, they had to be perfect. Once those were done the rest of the build was easy.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Bob, the table is simply gorgeous. I've only recently found and begun working with Sapele, but it's the most beautiful wood I know that I can afford to use for more than accents. You really did a great job.

If I'd had that sort of blow-out, my table would have just been an inch shorter than planned. Good on you for being willing to start over.

With the number of candles most of us have on the cake, I guess many of us have endured some of life's bigger trials. However, we don't know what each other is going through unless we share. To me it humanizes us more than all the games we play or jokes we tell.
I think that sharing is part of what makes this group special. Thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I spent over eighteen years working with people with developmental disabilities. I am fully aware of the hazards involved when working in that profession and very sorry that one of them had to happen to your wife. I am certainly glad that it was not as bad of a situation as it could have been and that she has the gumption to compensate for her problems.
I consider her and all who work in the field to be angels and wish them all well.

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
That table is a beautiful, sculptural work of art. About a million husband points worth. I too work with a lot of people who work with problem patients, and I agree that they are angels. You might have her checked out by a qualified Feldenkrais practitioner. Very gentle approach to treating such physical conditions, no yanking or cracking so no aggrivation of the condition. I had a doctor/ladyfriend who got certified in a week long class and volunteered to get treatment and it was quite effective on my posture and back problems. Chiropractic may be too much for such damage.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Looks better than good. Love the top!!

Reactions: Bob Adams

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Sculptin' ain't easy to get right..The sapele worked out beautifully

You did a fine job Bob.

Reactions: Bob Adams
1 - 20 of 27 Posts