Router Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Elliott; upsizing the collet, even if possible, isn't a great idea. This came up in another thread today. Using a reducer doesn't add any extra load to a router designed for the heavier bits and workloading.
The opposite applies to upsizing; the bearings, motor, and arbor are being asked to withstand forces they weren't designed for.
Once you've stepped up to 1/2" sized shanks, what's to stop you from putting a massive profiling bit in there?
At the very least you'll likely overload/burn out the motor.
If you buy a new, appropriately sized 1/2" 2 1/4+ HP router from a reputable manufacturer, it won't break the bank, and you'll have it for a very long time.
A lot of the members here like Bosch, particularly for their excellent customer service, but there are certainly other highly regarded machines out there. Stay away from used ie 2nd hand! You have no idea what torture it's been through and the repairs if required, could end up costing more than a new one...plus you get a warranty with new.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It took a bit of looking. The manual does not even give the hp but somebody posting about it said it "develops 1hp". That term "develops" is advetising BS for a lot less than 1hp. I could not even find the current rating listed in the manual, a better indication of hp. It sounds like it is far too underpowered for larger bits that only come with a 1/2 inch shank. As others have said, If you want to use big bits, get a bigger router. BTW, the 315 at the start of the part number means that Ryobi made this router for Sears. Bosch is a good choice. Think about a kit with a fixed and plunge base. The Bosch is 21/4 hp and should meet your needs.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Most of Sears routers would only accept a 1/4" collet. Probably because they were underpowered for using larger bits and would have led to warranty issues if they could have accepted larger bits.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I was trying to find out if Bosch 8mm collets would fit my 1/2" Makita, so going the other way.

Is Stick's collection all Bosch? :wink:
If yours is a 1617 or the 50 cycle, 230 volt equivalent of it then there is an 8mm collet available. I think there are also 6, 10, and 12mm versions. If your router is one of these then any size you could hope for is available. Elaire Corporation -Router Collets

·
Registered
95 Posts
If yours is a 1617 or the 50 cycle, 230 volt equivalent of it then there is an 8mm collet available. I think there are also 6, 10, and 12mm versions. If your router is one of these then any size you could hope for is available. Elaire Corporation -Router Collets
Mine is the Makita 3600 which shares the same collet as the Makita 3612 series, if those Bosch collets would fit it would be great, but no one seems to have both the Makita and Bosch routers to see if they will fit.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Phil I was doing a search to see what it looked like and I found this: https://www.amazon.ca/uxcell-2-inch...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B073P5ZQCT This looks identical to the Bosch 1617 collet which fits a multitude of other routers as well. The measurements also sound about right. I know the 1617 spindle thread is 19mm diameter. I think the thread pitch is 1 mm but I would have to go measure in the morning to be sure. There was one modekl in between, maybe the 3604, that shares a collet with my Hitachi M12V. The V2 and VC that I have also use the Bosch 1617 collet. Since I am fairly certain that Makita and Hitachi are made in the same factory then there is a very good chance that the 1617 collet is what you are after.

Elaire Corporation makes every imaginable size for the 1617 type and they are not overly expensive. Elaire Corporation -Router Collets

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Is Stick's collection all Bosch? :wink:
no.
Grumman, Thor, IR, Stanley, Makita, PC, Bosch...
Everything DW is long dead and buried..

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: Cherryville Chuck

·
Registered
95 Posts
Phil I was doing a search to see what it looked like and I found this: https://www.amazon.ca/uxcell-2-inch...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B073P5ZQCT This looks identical to the Bosch 1617 collet which fits a multitude of other routers as well. The measurements also sound about right. I know the 1617 spindle thread is 19mm diameter. I think the thread pitch is 1 mm but I would have to go measure in the morning to be sure. There was one modekl in between, maybe the 3604, that shares a collet with my Hitachi M12V. The V2 and VC that I have also use the Bosch 1617 collet. Since I am fairly certain that Makita and Hitachi are made in the same factory then there is a very good chance that the 1617 collet is what you are after.

Elaire Corporation makes every imaginable size for the 1617 type and they are not overly expensive. Elaire Corporation -Router Collets
Using my digital vernier calipers I measure 20mm outside diameter thread with a 1mm pitch on the spindle, I just measured the collet and it's 19mm inside diameter. Sounds very promising. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Best to keep as it is ; it would be particularly poor choice for an anchor .......
😁

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.