Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard on CNN today that Sears is going to be absorbed (i.e. Going out of business, my term) into K-Mart next year. Has anybody else heard that? What will happen to the Craftsman product line?

Ronster

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi Ron,

That's pretty strange because it was Sears that bailed out the big K all those years ago.

Mike

·
Registered
782 Posts
Craftsmens tools are now sold at kmart.
here is a google search on sears . Kmart is going to be selling sear's item's Even tool's clothing ect. check out this link also found this too

Though the remodeling project was drafted long before the closing in late March of Kmart's $12.3 billion purchase of Sears, it has been used as an opportunity to bring in Sears' premium private brands

USATODAY.com - Kmart stores make room for Sears' stuff

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's great news. I remember when Sears was the first store of it's kind in WPB FL. My Father was a machinist and was on a first name basis with the Craftsman tool department when taps, etc finally wore out, since they had lifetime replacement.

Do ya'll think the Craftsman brand quality has stood the test over time, what with the glut of stuff from around the world?

...R

·
Marine Engineer
4,774 Posts
I still think the craftsman hand tools are great.

Sears made the mistake of putting the craftsman name on too many different grades of power tools. They should have kept the lower grade stuff as a separate line, and kept the premium/heavy duty stuff as Craftsman. That has led to a lot of folks having a bad taste in their mouths for craftsman power tools.

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
I still think the craftsman hand tools are great.

Sears made the mistake of putting the craftsman name on too many different grades of power tools. They should have kept the lower grade stuff as a separate line, and kept the premium/heavy duty stuff as Craftsman. That has led to a lot of folks having a bad taste in their mouths for craftsman power tools.
Ace has started selling Craftsman, also. It appears that, at least what I've seen, they are the good tools. Mostly sets of mechanics tools. Haven't seen any woodworking power tools in the store I frequent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The financial reports, at that time, indicated that K-Mart "acquired" Sears .
I think that Sears, and Craftsman, are pretty much "gone" already. At least that has been my experience with woodworking tools customer service - both instore and online.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The CNN piece said that Sears would be gone in 2012. It didn't say that K-mart would carry the Sears products. I can only say from my experience that there were no employees in my local Sears who were conversant re: routers, saws, etc. Also, there was nothing in stock here. They referred me to their on-line site.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I find this highly unlikely. Sears has been around a very long time. They also use to say that Apple was going to go under back in the 90's. We all know how that worked out?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts