Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at my local Sears Hardware today I saw the router combo 27683 on sale for $90. I couldn't resist, so I bought it to replace my old Skil 1835.

The router combo has both plunge and fixed bases, and comes with an edge guide and carry bag. It has the wrench that allows height adjustment from above the table, and supposedly accepts PC guide bushings. I haven't taken it out of the box yet.

I've heard mixed things about Sears' tool longevity, so I bought the extended warranty for $18, too.

I had my eyes on the Bosch 1617, but it's twice as much as the Sears on sale.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
That is a cheap deal Ken but the biggest issue with Sears routers is the unavailability of spare parts down the road. I inherited a Sears router from my father in law that was around 20 years old and had never been used much. I didn't need it so I gave it to my son and he is telling me that it won't hold the bit in place for longer than 20 seconds. I already know that a collet is not available for it so if he nor I can get the collet to hold then it's spare parts for someone else and I'll buy him a 1617 to replace it with.

The moral to my story is that you should work that router as much as you can and get your use out of while parts are still available. It isn't necessarily a bad buy and if you use it lots you should be able to get your money's worth out of it.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
"I had my eyes on the Bosch 1617, but it's twice as much as the Sears on sale."
-Ken

What Charles said.

“Quality in a service or product is not what you put into it. It is what the client or customer gets out of it.”
~Peter Drucker

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments.

Never sure whether to buy this tool or that one. Am always tempted to spend just a little bit more, until I am way over budget. I am trying to complete my first project with the Skil 1835. See my post in the intro section if you want the gory details, but I've had an expensive learning curve with the project and am already well into my woodworking budget for 2017! The sears router was a pure impulse buy because it was on sale (listed on website for $199). I believe that the woodworking results are more the person than the tool. I will see how I make out with the Skil 1835.

Odd about the lack of spare parts from Sears. Normally, I've had good luck with their partsdirect website. Makes me wonder if I should but an extra collet and some brushes now.

Is the 1617 really as good as I've heard?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Odd about the lack of spare parts from Sears. Normally, I've had good luck with their partsdirect website. Makes me wonder if I should but an extra collet and some brushes now.

Excellent idea to get the parts while you can.

Yes, the Bosch is that good. Don't think I have had a bad Bosch tool of any kind yet.

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Quality tools are never a mistake. An extra collet might be a good idea. Based on the members we've had asking if anyone knew where they could get a replacement I would say that might be the number one problem.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Ken; in case both my memory and my manners lapsed, welcome!

The thing about Bosch is that not only are the tools extremely well designed, the Customer Service (should you need it) is excellent. I know this from my own experience with them.
Having been a contractor for almost 4 decades and bought and used a lot of different brands of tools, by a wide margin Bosch has been my best tool experience.
That doesn't mean there aren't other excellent tools out there, but we keep hearing about 'issues' from a lot of other members with tool problems.
It isn't that Bosch never makes a faulty part or even tool, but rather that they deal with it like you're their very best client. That in a nutshell is what makes the difference.
(In the spirit of full disclosure, I've been using a DeWalt 8 1/4" Sawcat circ saw for years, and I love it. )
Cheers! And again, welcome to the funhouse,
-Dan

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
"I had my eyes on the Bosch 1617, but it's twice as much as the Sears on sale."
-Ken

What Charles said.

“Quality in a service or product is not what you put into it. It is what the client or customer gets out of it.”
~Peter Drucker
agreed....
Sears history ''SCREAMs!!!'' stay away from me...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Thanks for the comments.

Better....

Bosch 1617EVSPK in a reconditioned or new...
the better, best, more gooder choice..

2nd to none CS and tech/equipment support...
real work horse...
lasts long time...
they are very good investment protects the bottom line and a substantial value also...

I think/feel/believe that Bosch to be a most outstanding company...
they have a proven track record (VOE) on manning up to any found rare problems/issues... quite unlike some/most of the other tool manufactures/companies... (VOE)...
(you other guys listening)???

I have a lot of their tools...and I mean a lot... as in major many... (51 routers alone)...
I started using Bosch in the late 70's to replace tools that weren't making the ''grade''... Many of these tools are still in service....

Overall Bosch has less down time, less hassles, less additional monies spent, longevity, planned obsolesce isn't an issue and less all around grief...
their tools have proven that they have a cost effective track record over and over again...
(this is taking into account tangible and intangible costs)..

if you don't mind mediocre disposable tools.....
buy "other" ....
I'll stay with Bosch... I've learned my lessons...

Everything may not be always a bed of roses but Bosch definitely busts their butts to clear and/or deal with of as many of the thorns as possible so you don't have to......

Reactions: nailset

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Excellent idea to get the parts while you can.

Yes, the Bosch is that good. Don't think I have had a bad Bosch tool of any kind yet.
not till you get their pistol grip hammer drills and put them into production...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
(In the spirit of full disclosure, I've been using a DeWalt 8 1/4" Sawcat circ saw for years, and I love it. )
-Dan
treasure that oldie but goodie saw...
the latest and greatest along w/ DW's CS are a bust...

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
Get extra collets and a set of brushes. Store them carefully. Collets occasionally fail, lose their grip or have to be forcibly removed.

Yes, the 1617 is as good as it gets. I have two. Great in the table and free hand work is a delight with a Bosch. If you can get one, a reconditioned Bosch is as good as new. Every Bosch tool I own beats the snot out of the cheaper tools I bought, put up with then replaced with the Bosch. Bosch seems to have a philosophy of being the best in class. And the fit and finish of every accessory is terrific. Their edge guide even doubles as a circle cutter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
you got to remember that Sears is no longer the Sears we used to know but now KMart worst thing in the world that could happen to a good store. Not worried about the quality all about profits. Might as well go to Harbor freight can't get parts there either just cheap tools and I don't really mean just price.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
you got to remember that Sears is no longer the Sears we used to know but now KMart worst thing in the world that could happen to a good store. Not worried about the quality all about profits. Might as well go to Harbor freight can't get parts there either just cheap tools and I don't really mean just price.
and sears is all about non-standard....

·
Registered
308 Posts
I bought a sears fixed base 2 HP router 3 years ago. ONLY because a very good friend gave me a sears (older router table) cast aluminum. Nice little table with the extension wings, never used. It was the only router I could find that would match up to the bolt hole pattern, in the table. I did not want to redrill the table.

End of last year my younger cousin was looking to get a router, set it up in a table to get started in woodworking. He asked me what router to get, on a tight budget. So I looked up the router I bought, It was being discontinued as I was buying it. Hardly any parts available. I have always hated Sears because of this for many years. He is saving his money and getting the Bosch. Of course I swayed him in that direction! Very satisfied in my Bosch routers.

Ellery Becnel

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
So, the votes have been tallied; the Tribe has spoken. Sears, you've been voted out. It's time for you to leave the Island.

;)
and now they are all yours...
(had to dump them some place).....

·
Registered
354 Posts
That is a cheap deal Ken but the biggest issue with Sears routers is the unavailability of spare parts down the road. I inherited a Sears router from my father in law that was around 20 years old and had never been used much. I didn't need it so I gave it to my son and he is telling me that it won't hold the bit in place for longer than 20 seconds. I already know that a collet is not available for it so if he nor I can get the collet to hold then it's spare parts for someone else and I'll buy him a 1617 to replace it with.

The moral to my story is that you should work that router as much as you can and get your use out of while parts are still available. It isn't necessarily a bad buy and if you use it lots you should be able to get your money's worth out of it.
Chuck..... Check eBay for the part.... I just bought an edge guide for my old 315.17492 ..... $13 ....

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
While at my local Sears Hardware today I saw the router combo 27683 on sale for $90. I couldn't resist, so I bought it to replace my old Skil 1835.

The router combo has both plunge and fixed bases, and comes with an edge guide and carry bag. It has the wrench that allows height adjustment from above the table, and supposedly accepts PC guide bushings. I haven't taken it out of the box yet.

I've heard mixed things about Sears' tool longevity, so I bought the extended warranty for $18, too.

I had my eyes on the Bosch 1617, but it's twice as much as the Sears on sale.
Sounds like a good deal, Ken. Use it. I think you will like it. I like the idea of a spare collet of both sizes, and spare brushes.

You should be able to put the fixed base in a router table and git-after-it! :grin:

Yeah, I have a pair of the Bosch's.

Mike

1 - 20 of 31 Posts