Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
That is interesting. Thanks Mike. Hard to say how that will all play out. It would be nice to see Craftsman become a serious player again. At one time they were the DIYer's tool of choice but then Sears dropped the quality and tried coasting on the brand reputation and it bit them. Long before that, 30s,40,s, and 50s, they were selling fairly high quality tools made by major north american factories.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Over the years Sears has been slowly replacing Craftsman products with Sears, hence no lifetime replacement warranty. They have also discontinued many many of their products parts. If you have a tool and it needs to be repaired, you can almost forget it. I stopped buying Craftsman products for that reason, alone many years ago. It has hurt their reputation, and bottom line.

·
Registered
226 Posts
About 8 years or so ago sears was taken over by Kmart that about says it all.
The only time I buy craftsman tools is at a yard sale.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Sears is a dinosaur on its last leg. I own thousands of dollars of Craftsman tool, but don't buy them anymore for all the reasons already stated. I think Sears will be history before too long.

Reactions: Ray Newman

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
good...

Reactions: TWheels

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Kenmore's are made by any one of several manufacturers to Sears specs. You have no idea who made it.

HJ

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
My brother used to work for them in the automotive dept and he would agree with the statement that they are living on borrowed time. He said the people that run it are out of touch with reality.

Brian S posted a list of Sears serial prefixes a while back that identified who the manufacturers were, as in 315. is Ryobi for example. I'm not sure that helps much as I don't know how many of the components in any machine were only in the Sears product.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
I started working for Sears back in 73 in the old tire stock room and then spent the next 25 years turning wrench for em. At one point I was though to be one of the best tune up mechanics they had. Worked my way up into management of a 3 million a year auto center and found it wasn't for me.. Now I do major maint. on 5 of their buildings. 3 of which are big money makers and help out on another 40 plus buildings as needed, I couldn't be happier. If it breaks, I'm the first call, HVAC, Electrical, Construction, Plumbing (god I hate plumbing) communications, POS and on and on.
I gotta agree that they have made some poor decisions over the years and some very stupid ones. The path they are on now has as much to do with marketing and an integrated retail strategy as anything else. I don't see how 200.000 folks losing their jobs is "good"! Just pisses me off when folks just say let em fail. ALOT of good people work for sears, ALOT of good people have devoted their lives into making the company work, even though they (the company) make things more difficult than things need to be. NO, it isn't the same company it was 40 years ago, no one knows this better than I do but I go to work every fricking day with the intention of doing my part to keep her afloat. I'm hard pressed to find a retail company as old and as big as Sears who isn't having a hard time of it in todays world. .

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I'd love to see them make a comeback too Bill. They are a north american icon of business and the name was very well respected at one time. And you are right about all the old big companies having it tough these days, the list includes Hudson's Bay Company (the oldest in North America by a landslide), Penney's, and it already claimed Woolworth's who was the largest restaurant chain in North America at one time, even beating out McDonald's.

All any individual employee can do is their best. From what I've heard they should be listening to employees like you and that is one of their biggest problems.

Reactions: Arcola60

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I blame the business models of the larger stores like Montgomery-Ward, Western Auto, Woolworth, J C Penny, and yes Sears for the rise of crappy stores like Walmart.

When we were young you could walk into any one of those stores and buy good quality merchandise. The local Penny's store carried everything from automotive, to electronics, to appliances, to sporting good (including firearms). Then they dumped the variety and concentrated on the clothing. This provided a vacuum for Sam Walton to step in. Everything was good until his death and then the bottom line took over.

Domestic manufacturers were driven out of business by unreasonable perks, and high wage demands (exemplified by the auto industry). Goods became off-shore garbage with high profit margins. Quality goods were hard to find at reasonable prices. The stores like J C Penny had to go off-shore to get their goods, and they were overpriced and of low quality.

We need to start buying domestically and become a country that makes things instead of importing them. Build the quality and market it at a fair price point and the rise of domestic, iconic, stores like those above will happen again.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Our local Sears store was in the mall and it folded up last year. Just as well, they never seemed to have what I was looking for and their repair shop farmed everything out. Which meant that you were paying two different businesses to have some thing fixed.
There was a time way back when that I would make it a point to walk through the tool section just to see what was new.

·
Registered
Paul
1,861 Posts
Their screwdrivers were good and popular. You still see them all over. Sears is dwindling around here (Toronto area). The last time I checked their tools, I was surprised how little they had, it looked like they were getting out of tools.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
It broke me up to see Woodwards, a BC Dept. store chain, go broke. I loved shopping there.
Unfortunately the last CEO, Chunky Woodward apparently was way more interested in his Douglas Lk. Ranch than he was in running a Dept. store.
The writing was on the wall when they sold the real estate and kept the stores.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Within the last six months or so I read an article about Sears’ problems in one of the on-line business papers. Cannot recall exactly which one, but the Wall Street Journal, the Economist, and Business Insider first came to my mind.

Anyway, what jumped out at me was that the Sears could have been in on the ground floor with an Amazon type on-line marketing. Those presenting the idea stated that Sears already the experience and nationwide USA, Canadian, Mexican store system and selling experience with catalogue sales to make the concept viable and profitable. However, management thought that idea of on-line shopping was just “too unique” and not really profitable or long lasting.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Their screwdrivers were good and popular. You still see them all over. Sears is dwindling around here (Toronto area). The last time I checked their tools, I was surprised how little they had, it looked like they were getting out of tools.
Kliens are way better...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Within the last six months or so I read an article about Sears’ problems in one of the on-line business papers. Cannot recall exactly which one, but the Wall Street Journal, the Economist, and Business Insider first came to my mind.

Anyway, what jumped out at me was that the Sears could have been in on the ground floor with an Amazon type on-line marketing. Those presenting the idea stated that Sears already the experience and nationwide USA, Canadian, Mexican store system and selling experience with catalogue sales to make the concept viable and profitable. However, management thought that idea of on-line shopping was just “too unique” and not really profitable or long lasting.
Yep, that's the kind of out of touch with reality I was talking about. Sears probably could have done it cheaper than Amazon because they already had shipping between the stores and pick up locations.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts