Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
My first thought was that Grandma was his secret hobby. Someone took a lot of time creating those works of art.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Grampa may have been one of those people who loves to do what he did but hates the idea of attention garnered from it. My wife is that way. She hand crochets large blankets, scarves, wall hangings (one large early american flag among other things) and anything else she can think to make but she doesn't tell people about it unless they just happen to visit and notice them. Sometimes she'll make one as a gift for someone she knows but even then she keeps it on the down low.

There's absolutely no way he did that without having a full functioning wood shop like most of us do, and that means the family knew of it. Turning those wheels would require at least a lathe, and I saw some very small, odd angled miter cuts on an exhaust pipe from an engine there also, so there's a miter saw somewhere in the shop too. Too big to hide. They knew. Whoever wrote the article was just dropping a drama bomb for effect.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I agree with Duane.
Those little machines are jewelry and the artisan spent a lot of time to make them. Perhaps his main job was as mechanical supervisor due to the level of details in each miniature.

·
Official Greeter
18,750 Posts
I also agree with Duane.

My take on this is the guy had a menial job, and when he got home in the afternoon, spent time in his work shop as a release.....

No way his wife would not know.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,336 Posts
Unbelievable talent.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am in awe of people that can build things like that. Not even in my dreams am I that capable.

That is awesome work your grandfather did, thanks for posting!!

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
That's an incredible amount of detail considering there made from wood . I could only imagine making those tracks for the excavator :)

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
That's an incredible amount of detail considering there made from wood . I could only imagine making those tracks for the excavator :)
actually they are pretty easy... time consuming though...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts