Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Stumbled across this forum when I was looking for some advice on routers seems to be great forum! I was hoping I might be able to get some guidance and advice on some questions I have?

Now I’ll premise my questions by saying that My woodworking skills are very limited (and that’s being kind) so please forgive my questions in advance for the newbieness :)

I’m looking to build a speaker project that uses two bamboo IKEA bowls joined together to make sphere speakers.

I couldn’t include a link as I’m new but they are two bowls 11inches in diameter joined together.

Here’s a pic of one

IMG_7739.JPG

The speaker driver cutout is meant to go on the bottom base.

Now my main question is what is the best approach using a router to make a recessed hole so that the speaker is flush mounted in one half (bowl) I could use a hole saw but then I wouldn’t be able to have a 4mm recess to make the speaker driver flush.

I’ve bought a jasper jig to make the circular holes but I’m not sure (given it’s not a flat surface) how I would go about doing the cut out.

I haven’t bought a router yet so any suggestions would be appreciated I’ve looked at a couple of routers that are both plunge and fixed but they are getting up there in price and I’m assuming I would also potentially need a router table as well?

If anyone could offer some advice on how best to approach making a circular rebate/recess that would be really appreciated. Baring in mind this will be my first router project and generally new to woodworker.

Also, any comments on a reasonable price setup that would do the job. I don’t want to go too cheap but also would like to keep as cheap as possible given my current skill set! :)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Hey, Hyped; welcome!
If you fill out your profile the members will know what equipment you have available to you, a first name maybe also?
In any case, if it were me, I think I'd drill out the smaller diameter with a holesaw first, then use that as a template to rout out the slightly larger rebated diameter (the actual recess that the speaker sits flush in).
I'd be a lot more comfortable using a drill press for the smaller diameter hole, with the bowl firmly clamped to the table.
If a guy had a lathe, that'd be another approach.
Having said all that, what you want to do is pretty sophisticated if you've never used a router. For one thing, a handheld router is normally used on a flat surface; you want to do it on a sphere. Not saying it can't be done but I think I'd be using a small trim router to do the rebate.

·
Registered
Theo
6,937 Posts
I would say farm it out to someone that knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
When the cost of the equipment to do this is factored in, I'd say that Theo's advice is best, unless you plan on making a whole bunch of these and selling them, In that case you might want to check costs both ways.

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Guys , wouldn’t a router on a circle jig work perfectly for this?

Btw , welcome to the forum N/a . This is an interesting project ,and looks very cool also . Hope you keep us updated. I often wish I built my home theatre speakers instead of just buying them

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, Hyped; welcome!
If you fill out your profile the members will know what equipment you have available to you, a first name maybe also?
In any case, if it were me, I think I'd drill out the smaller diameter with a holesaw first, then use that as a template to rout out the slightly larger rebated diameter (the actual recess that the speaker sits flush in).
I'd be a lot more comfortable using a drill press for the smaller diameter hole, with the bowl firmly clamped to the table.
If a guy had a lathe, that'd be another approach.
Having said all that, what you want to do is pretty sophisticated if you've never used a router. For one thing, a handheld router is normally used on a flat surface; you want to do it on a sphere. Not saying it can't be done but I think I'd be using a small trim router to do the rebate.

Thanks mate and noted on the profile I’ll updated.

Yeh maybe I’ve bit off more than I can chew :) if I took the smaller hole out first I was thinking I could build a small box around the bowl where the box is level, flush with the bowl to at least give me a level surface, make sense?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When the cost of the equipment to do this is factored in, I'd say that Theo's advice is best, unless you plan on making a whole bunch of these and selling them, In that case you might want to check costs both ways.

If I can get there with trial and error without killing too many bowls I’m kinda ok with that I guess :) and I’m hoping to do more stuff in future so don’t see investment as a waste if I can reuse the gear.

However as noted above maybe I’ve bitten more than I can chew!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys , wouldn’t a router on a circle jig work perfectly for this?

Btw , welcome to the forum N/a . This is an interesting project ,and looks very cool also . Hope you keep us updated. I often wish I built my home theatre speakers instead of just buying them

Thanks rainman appreciated and depending how I go be sure to post and update :)

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
With a perfect circle jig like mine , the main thing would be making sure you find dead centre .
Once you establish that, the jig I have has a 1/8” pin that requires you to drill a 1/8” hole obviously in the bowl .
From there you do the recess first going around the perimeter with the router on the jig till you achieve your depth , then change the circle jigs distance inwards for a smaller diameter hole that copies the diameter of the speakers inner basket where it seats.
This final hole would go right threw, and presto your done

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
You don’t have to buy one ,as there easy to make , but this is what I’m referring too

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Tricky on a dome, Rick. How would you control the depth accurately? Again, not saying it can't be done, but i'd like to know it works first...

Rick's got the jig; I nominate Rick! :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You don’t have to buy one ,as there easy to make , but this is what I’m referring too

https://youtu.be/UkRh68OC_lM

I’ve actually got a jasper jig mate. It’s how to run it on flat surface seeing your working on a dome. Hence my comment about building a box around it flush to give a horizontal surface to anchor from :)

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Excellent idea to build a flat surface for it...box would be perfect...

Then a template for the circle and recess...trim router would be easier...Bosch Colt or Ridgid...

Rough cut with jig saw first...use your box for base for the saw...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excellent idea to build a flat surface for it...box would be perfect...

Then a template for the circle and recess...trim router would be easier...Bosch Colt or Ridgid...

Cheers for feedback Nick. I think I might give that a go mate. I’ve got two extra bowls in case (well in the highly probable event I stuff one up) :)

Even if I hole saw out the first cut and then build a circle template for the recess

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Use thin material for the top of the box so you don't need to over-extend the bit...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Use thin material for the top of the box so you don't need to over-extend the bit...

Thanks for advice makes sense! Recess only needs to be like 4mm so assuming if I keep the thickness of template under say 6-7mm should be ok for most decent routers?

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Some additional info...make sure you route in the correct direction...handheld would be left to right or clockwise in your case...maybe you know that already...

Reactions: hyped

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some additional info...make sure you route in the correct direction...handheld would be left to right or clockwise in your case...maybe you know that already...

I do now :)

Thanks nick?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I agree with Nick. Just make sure the bowl is secured (sandwiched) to the box well.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts