Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a novice woodworker wishing to learn about routing. I have a Porter-Cable 8902 hand-held router. I also have a Porter-Cable 7518 under a General Excalibur cast iron router table. The router table is attached to a cast iron extension on the right side of my Sawstop Professional Cabinet saw.

You might think that so much cast iron on the side of the SawStop would make it unstable, but it's solid as a rock. When I lower the SawStop to its lower position, the two General Excalibur legs that I installed on the long end side of the router table are solidly on the floor, and I get no vibration when operating the router. The P:C 7518 is operated by a Jessem Master-R-Lift. I'm having to rig the General Excalibur fence as it was not designed for the Sawstop front and rear rails, and I'm not pleased with the aluminum fence bottom rubbing on the cast iron table. Maybe it won't scratch the table, but the rubbing sound every time I move the fence just bothers me.

As a subscriber to the Fine Woodworking magazine, I found the name of Pat Warner, a router expert via an article that he wrote in Fine Woodworking in the Sept/Oct 2000 issue on his "Micro-Adjustable Router Fence." I would like to replicate that fence. But I discovered him after he passed away this summer. If anyone is familiar with the router bases and router fences that Warner designed, you may be as impressed with his designs as I am. I've not been able to determine if his business will be assumed by a second party. His website has been taken down. I would like to know if any Router Forum participant has does so, and if he's care to share his thoughts on his success. I found a website that discusses Pat Warner at "Tom's Workbench." So, that's who I am, and what I'm up to.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,350 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,840 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum

·
Super Moderator
David
3,578 Posts
Welcome to the forum! When you get a chance go ahead and complete your profile with first name and location. We're a friendly bunch and having a name helps, as well as your location if/when you're asking for help. Your climate, environment, and related things like that help us to help you. Also, you may actually be close to one of us and we might need help moving something large... :wink:

David

·
Premium Member
17,428 Posts
Welcome to the forum, sounds like you have a great setup :)

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi and welcome (a name would be nice). Pat Warner went by the user name Quillman on this forum. You can find one of his posts by using the Coonity Search and putting his username in it. Once you find one of his posts click on his user name and then click on his Personal Profile. Once on his profile page you'll see a menu bar with the word Statistics on it. Click on that and it will offer you to see all the posts Pat made or all the threads he started. There may be more on what you are looking for in one of those and if not you'll learn a lot by reading them. Unfortunately all the links to his site won't help as you have found out. No one has said if anyone will take up where he left off and Pat never mentioned workers or associates so I would say that the chance of that doesn't look good at the moment.

Lee Valley made a fence for their steel router table top which had fine adjustment. You may get ideas from it if it's still showing on their website. They discontinued production of that top a few years ago but last time I checked it was still showing on their site but as not available.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Hi and welcome to the party. Not familiar with Pat Warner, but I know several people here followed and even knew him and I bet they will show up soon. Meanwhile, you might try putting some friction reducing tape on the bottom of the fence, probably will solve the squeaking issue. Nice setup you have there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts