Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working with small pieces of maple "a first for me" that barely bridge the gap in my fence. Two and a half inches of wool and a one inch gap in the fence. Instead of taking the time to make a hardboard zero clearance profile of my bit I went ahead and made several passes and suffered the consequences of serious tear out. I then smartened up and made the zero profile device. What a difference. I have proved to myself that this technique really works. It's the first time I have worked with hardwood, it's whole different ball game. Oldrusty

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
small part holder...
many other uses too...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Using a push block (a square piece of mdf, ply, particle board, or wood) also reduces or eliminates tearout and will also help keep the work piece more stable.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem wasn't "holding the pieces" as they were six inches long and two and a half across the end grain. I used s large backer board when cutting across the grain and a Grrriper with the grain so my hands were always clear of the bit. The problem was that as hard as I held the piece against the backer board and the fence, the moment it left the right hand fence at the finnish of the cut, it dipped fractionally towards the bit, leaving the protection of the backer board and causing small but annoying tear out. Anyway the hardboard jig solved the problem. Al

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
No harm done and you had it figured out in no time. :smile:

·
Official Greeter
18,750 Posts
....taking the time to make a hardboard zero clearance profile of my bit
Always time well spent...It only has to be a strip of hardboard...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts