Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone played with this thing? It's a "hand held" CNC Router. https://www.shapertools.com/en-us/

I have to say at first glance I was immensely skeptical. The slick video is void of any real specifics. And at $2500, I think I should be very skeptical. The web site has almost no details of how it works. I'm guessing that internally, there are X and Y motors that position the spindle so that when the operator moves the unit, X and Y adjust to track to the intended cut path. Could be pretty clever though there are a lot of questions that need answering. They make a lot of claims (and imply them in their overly slick video). My local Rockler is selling them so maybe I can get a demo. I talked to a Rockler guy on the phone and he's pretty gung-ho. But then, he'd be a poor salesman if he wasn't.

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,189 Posts
I saw that when it came out last year (year before?) and I guess if you work on site often then it might serve a purpose. But I don't think it could ever replace a 'real' CNC router. I'm kind of in the same boat as Rick - saw some used ones for sale not long after they became available and that speaks volumes.

David

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I've seen at least 4 of them for sale used on the forum for anywhere from $1000 to $1500. I think one or more of the comments was "I don't use it as much as I thought I would". I do believe that it has both some x and y capability but I think it has z capability too because we all know how hard it can be to get a bit that is fully surrounded in a cut to track and I think it may retract if it wanders too far off path but I would want someone who knows more to confirm that.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Possibly. No one ever followed up on the offers so we can't be sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.