Router Forums banner

Shaper Origin

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  jw2170 
#1 ·
Hello,

I was looking in purchasing this as it fits my needs on multiple levels. I currently live in North America but in a few months I will be moving down to Europe. I will be moving my entire workshop and most of my machines are 220V and I have a few that are 110V. The majority of my machines are 50/60hz and those that are 60hz like my table saw (sawstop professional 3hp and my 3hp laguna dust collector) will not have trouble working with 50hz.
My question is to those who have the Shaper Origin do you know if the motor is 50/60hz? Will it be a major issue? I looked at purchasing a unit in europe but the price is just crazy. It comes out to $5800 CAD when I could get it here at just over 4k.

Thank you in advance

#3 ·
Hello,

I was looking in purchasing this as it fits my needs on multiple levels. I currently live in North America but in a few months I will be moving down to Europe. I will be moving my entire workshop and most of my machines are 220V and I have a few that are 110V. The majority of my machines are 50/60hz and those that are 60hz like my table saw (sawstop professional 3hp and my 3hp laguna dust collector) will not have trouble working with 50hz.
My question is to those who have the Shaper Origin do you know if the motor is 50/60hz? Will it be a major issue? I looked at purchasing a unit in europe but the price is just crazy. It comes out to $5800 CAD when I could get it here at just over 4k.

Thank you in advance
"and those that are 60hz like my table saw (sawstop professional 3hp and my 3hp laguna dust collector) will not have trouble working with 50hz. " ....
Just be aware that (perhaps you already know this) motors rated at 60HZ will tend to overheat when operated at 50HZ - sometimes to the point of self-destructing. If you haven't already, I would verify with Sawstop and Laguna the 50HZ operation.

#4 ·
Agreed....60 cycle machines don't do well running on 50 cycle, unless they are rated as 50/60 cycle. The induction motors will run a bit slower on 50 cycle, but you also need to check the control circuits to see if transformers, etc. are also rated 50/60 cycle. It's much easier and safer running 50 cycle European machinery on 60 cycle than it is going the other way. For voltage incompatibility, transformers can be used. Frequency conversion isn't near as easy.

Charley

#5 ·
Hello,

Thank you in advance
I’m interested to know if you ever used the US Origin in the UK and how it went.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.