Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently retired (forcibly, branch closure)glazier. However keen to start afresh, (at 71 years???) I feel that around here in South West Australia there's a market for hand made items. Well, we'll see. I now have time and facilities plus all the beautiful timbers in unlimited supply (and mostly free). Jarrah, karri, marri, she-oak, eucalypts etc. What I need to start is some experience with router work. I have a 1/4 inch, (8mm) router which may struggle with BMJ and the like. So, an upgrade is on the cards. I'll be looking for advice on here re makes and models. Looking forward to reading many posts, Cheers, Stewie

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,201 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Stewie! When you get a minute complete your profile with first name and location so it will show in the left panel. Otherwise you'll be addressed as N/a and we'd rather use your name.

Have you started any projects? Post photos when you're ready.

David

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
I have a 1/4 inch, (8mm) router which may struggle with BMJ and the like. So, an upgrade is on the cards.
Heh heh, I have several 1/4" routers. I work with mainly 1/2" plywood, and they do me well. However, the trick is slow and shallow cuts. So for me they work, but if they ever die, I'll be going for something larger for sure.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Welcome Stewie. This is a great place for advice and ideas. I have and use my Bosch 1617EVSPK routers without issue both on the router table as well as freehand. This model is 12 amp and 2.25 HP. There are 15 amp 3.2 HP routers out there but I suggest something with digital speed especially for the startup. On models without you tend to get a sudden twist when started where these ramp up. Just my personal choice.

-Steve

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Stewie and welcome. If you are in the Perth area then you might be able to get Harry Sinclair to tutor you. Harry is one of the most knowledgeable people on our forum and has written a series of tutorials that can be found on our home page (click on the large Routerforums logo at the top of the page). All of our sub forums are there and where old threads can be looked up. There is also lots of good videos on youtube plus we're here to offer specific help. Harry has used at least most of the species you mentioned so he would have first hand knowledge of how good they are are to work with.

Keep in mind that North American recommendations for a new router will be for models that are not compatible with your electrical system. Our standard is single leg 120 volt. Yours is single leg 230 volt. Most popular brands have the same model as here but compatible for your system. I know that Makita, which is Harry's favourite, and Hitachi, which is my favourite, both have the same models there. Find out from other Oz members, or do some research on your own, to find out what is the most common bit shank diameter. The 8mm (5/16") you mentioned is uncommon here, almost to the point of being comparable to hen's teeth. 12mm is also the same here but may not be there. 1/2" is standard here but may be less common there. I'm not sure where the best place to buy bits is but I've seen Bunnings name mentioned many times.

Reactions: DaninVan
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.