Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This relatively reasonable cost Spiral-head planer thicknesser sold (& rebadged under Sherwood brand) by Timbecon in Australia is of excellent quality.
Might appear in under countries under some other brands.

Much better than the 2 bladed Triton or Ryobi or even the 3 bladed Dewalts planers.
It is now called the "Sherwood 13in Spiral-Head Thicknesser" in Australia.
Has 26 reversible knives each 27mm wide now made of Tungsten Carbide.
(Mine has 26 reversible knifes made of HSS.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
At $AU899.00 I reckon it's good value. I've dealt with Timbecon for nearly 20 years and whilst it went downhill some time ago when sold, I'm told that once it was bought back by the original owner, Ross Gobby, things improved. My bandsaw and linisher are Sherwood, and while the finish isn't as pretty as say Jet, they work just fine.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This is NOT STANDARD

Looks to be the standard lunchbox unit discussed in another string. The instruction book would apply to the Makita I used to have. I bet parts are interchangable.
The Standard model has only 2 HSS blades and cost below AUD$500
Markita does NOT even have any planer models with SPIRAL HEAD at even double the price.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Your lucky to live in WA

Harry, you are lucky to live in WA.
Timbecon's original owner's son migrated to Melbourne and opened the Melbourne Branch only a few years back. When I drove and found the shop, I bought that Planer Thicknesser immediately for AUD750. They honestly told me that the next shipment would come with TCT blades instead of HSS and I could replace just one or two worn or broken HSS blades of the 26mm blades with new TCT blades.
So far, I need no replacement. If I ever hit a nail, I only have to turn over one or two of the 26 26mm blades and I have a perfect mc again.

In a Standard Planer, you would have to replace the whole set of two 340mm (13") blades or 3 HSS blades.

Reactions: harrysin

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Harry, you are lucky to live in WA.
Timbecon's original owner's son migrated to Melbourne and opened the Melbourne Branch only a few years back. When I drove and found the shop, I bought that Planer Thicknesser immediately for AUD750. They honestly told me that the next shipment would come with TCT blades instead of HSS and I could replace just one or two worn or broken HSS blades of the 26mm blades with new TCT blades.
So far, I need no replacement. If I ever hit a nail, I only have to turn over one or two of the 26 26mm blades and I have a perfect mc again.

In a Standard Planer, you would have to replace the whole set of two 340mm (13") blades or 3 HSS blades.
This looks very similar to the Cutech planer I bought recently for $379. , HSS model $279., has the same cuttter head with carbide cutters or HSS, I got the CT cutters and it gives a super smooth finish. Also the noise level is way better, at least 1/3 less than the DW 735 I had, I like it a lot.

13 Spiral Cutterhead Planer

Herb

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Good to know

This looks very similar to the Cutech planer I bought recently for $379. , HSS model $279., has the same cuttter head with carbide cutters or HSS, I got the CT cutters and it gives a super smooth finish. Also the noise level is way better, at least 1/3 less than the DW 735 I had, I like it a lot.

13 Spiral Cutterhead Planer

Herb
Thanks, its good to know
But the Sherwood Deluxe ALSO has a built-in depth-of-cut stop - set the depth of cut to the common 3.2mm, 6.4mm, 12.7mm, 19.0mm, 25.4mm and 31.8mm thicknesses so that when making the final pass on a number of work pieces they maintain a consistent thickness.
It is written in mm HERE but they are REALLY 1/8", 1/4", 1/2", 3/4", 1" and 1 1/4" depth-of-cuts stops relabeled for the educated people who know "metric-only" .

When I had to repair the eaves-fascia of my daughter's house, 1 1/4" thickness depth-stop was the PERFECT setting in supposely already METRICATED Australia.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Timbecon imports direct and have the "Sherwood" name attached so I don't doubt that the same machine is sold around the world with many different names and of course at many different prices!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alternative is SHELIX Head & cutters

Timbecon imports direct and have the "Sherwood" name attached so I don't doubt that the same machine is sold around the world with many different names and of course at many different prices!
Many people upgrade their Planer thicknesser with the SUPERIOR
SHELIX shear Spiral head.
Cost more than US400 + YOUR own labor and risk for a 12-13" planer thicknesser.

I have no doubt that SHELIX heads are SUPERIOR than this SHERWOOD's helical head.
But cost is a major factor for me.
Shelix does sell spiral head for Sherwood planers too.

Reactions: harrysin

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
A very close friend of mine recently fitted a SHELIX spiral head to his 9" jointer and what a HUGE difference it has made to the finish and noise level.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.