Router Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while I was replacing stairs I noticed some space behind the wall that I suggested turning into some storage.

A 24x24 box made from some good ply, a couple of panels, some hinges, edging and a magnetic push/pull latch later and "viola"...shoe cubby by the front door.

And yes, I did the floor, trim and molding you see.

Doing inserted doors has always been a measuring challenge I've enjoyed...

Trim and molding was done with a combination of bits...likewise the strip above the cubby...

The 45's and other angles were carefully measured to bisect them precisely...a lesson learned long ago when I used to set the miter to 45 only to find there is no such thing as a 90 in an older (or new) house unless you did it yourself...

Thought it was time to post some pics of past work...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,223 Posts
Nice little project to make use of normally wasted space. Around here it would soon be occupied by spiders. Not enough cold I guess. Nice workmanship.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,317 Posts
Looks great Nick.

Reactions: Moz

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
So while I was replacing stairs I noticed some space behind the wall that I suggested turning into some storage.

A 24x24 box made from some good ply, a couple of panels, some hinges, edging and a magnetic push/pull latch later and "viola"...shoe cubby by the front door.

And yes, I did the floor, trim and molding you see.

Doing inserted doors has always been a measuring challenge I've enjoyed...

Trim and molding was done with a combination of bits...likewise the strip above the cubby...

The 45's and other angles were carefully measured to bisect them precisely...a lesson learned long ago when I used to set the miter to 45 only to find there is no such thing as a 90 in an older (or new) house unless you did it yourself...

Thought it was time to post some pics of past work...
now that nice piece of work done....
what's next...

·
Super Moderator
6,830 Posts
:) nice work Nick job well done

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all...

·
Registered
Paul
1,856 Posts
Good job, Nick. Are the doors plywood trimmed with an "L" shaped trim? I ask because I need to make some similar doors for the entrance to my under-the-stairs cubby hole.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good job, Nick. Are the doors plywood trimmed with an "L" shaped trim? I ask because I need to make some similar doors for the entrance to my under-the-stairs cubby hole.
Yes, plywood edged with pine...kept it simple...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts