Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have concerns for heating my small shop are in my garage. :'( With all the sawdust in the air when I'm working I am fearful of unitentional ignition and starting a fire.

I don't do much during the cold days and evenings because of lack of heat.:(

Can anyone recommend an enclosed heater I can use inside the shop that would not have exposed flame of elements yet still do the job? I cannot vent to the outside.

Thanks in advance for any council and suggestions.

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
George,

Welcome to The Router Forums.

Check out the electric oil filled radiator type heaters for your situation.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
You are using your head George, smart man. Keeping your shop as clean as possible and vacuuming all the dust you can will make it safer. Use a shop vac or dust collector whenever possible and it helps to have an air cleaner to get the fine stuff. No need to go spend big money for a fancy unit, watch garage sales for one of the HEPA air cleaners like the big round one from Honeywell. You can buy these for a song most of the time. Capturing the fine dust will greatly improve your finishes too. In a clean shop you can heat with an open flame, just shut it down while you are actually making sawdust. This is what I do.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I have 2 electric heaters.. One is a 1500 watt dual coil element and the other is a 1750 dual quartz.. I worry more about the quartz heater and keep it cleaned of dust..
The DC does a great job of keeping the dust down..

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
14,939 Posts
On the rare occasions that heating is required, I use a small blower heater, switchable 1 or 2 Kw. The airflow blows away any nearby sawdust and prevents the element from glowing. It has a temperature sensor so that it will switch off if the airflow is interrupted.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike said:
You are using your head George, smart man. Keeping your shop as clean as possible and vacuuming all the dust you can will make it safer. Use a shop vac or dust collector whenever possible and it helps to have an air cleaner to get the fine stuff. No need to go spend big money for a fancy unit, watch garage sales for one of the HEPA air cleaners like the big round one from Honeywell. You can buy these for a song most of the time. Capturing the fine dust will greatly improve your finishes too. In a clean shop you can heat with an open flame, just shut it down while you are actually making sawdust. This is what I do.

Thanks for this reply. It sinds ideal and safe!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
harrysin said:
On the rare occasions that heating is required, I use a small blower heater, switchable 1 or 2 Kw. The airflow blows away any nearby sawdust and prevents the element from glowing. It has a temperature sensor so that it will switch off if the airflow is interrupted.

Thanks for the reply. I have decided to use an oil filled heater because there is no exposed elements, spark, or flame. I am concerned that you are using an open element heater which may cause a fire if fine saw dust was floating in the air. Please verify it's saftey under those conditions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bob N said:
George,

Welcome to The Router Forums.

Check out the electric oil filled radiator type heaters for your situation.
Bob, thanks for this reply. It is exactly what I have done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts