Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a couple of pictures of my shop, and a couple of projects I'm working on. The candy or M&M dispensers pattern is from Cherry Tree. It's a 3 Tube pattern, I made these from that plan and just shortened the length of them, Taking one or two tubes out. They are pine finished with a spray on Min Wax gloss poly finish.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Nice shop and I love what you are making in it.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Ron, can you provide more info on the candy dispensers? I am interested in how the candy is metered and have not heard of "Cherry Tree" before.

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
WOW! Nice shop Ron and I too would like to see/hear more on the candy dispenser pattern.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Ditto both the above. The gun above the door is a nice touch hummm maybe I could??? I supose I best not!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vikingcraftsman has the link on his post.They have plans for the tree tube dispensers, I just shortened the length, eliminating one tube and the other two tubes. These are not quite finished, there is a slide that is just under 2" wide and 8" long that goes in the space under the tubes. It has a 1" hole drilled to accept the candy. the slide pulls forward and the candy drops out. The tubing, I get from U.S. Plastics It is 2" OD and 1- 3/4" ID it is cut 6" long. I cut it on the Band saw, slow speed. These are fun to make but a lot of work. I made 19 of them, production style. these are only some of them. I finish them with a spray on poly from MinWax. I found out it's best to spray all the pieces before assembly. They are all screwed together and screw holes plugged. Sorry the metal tube above the door is not a gun they are extension tubes for my Shopsmith. The only gun you see by the door is a bb gun. Left over from when the kid were younger. Gives a pretty good sting though. Being that I sell these I use Select grade pine and have around $15.00 in matieral in the three tube Disp. I am making one in Oak for my wife's cousin, she wants 3 of them for Christmas presents. She is getting the oak one for her Bar in the Basement.I'm going to the store were I have these tonight and will take some pics of the finished ones I have there. I'll try to post them late tonight. If I remember correctly Cherry Tree Toys has several different candy dispenser plans in their catalog. The shop is not finished, but usable. I am learning where I need to put shelves, cabinets, etc. etc. and how all is going to fit and work for me. Including permanent wiring and air lines and such. Have to go for now, Thanks for the compliments, I'l be on later tonight.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Hey, Ron. Nice shop and neat projects. I notice you have a MKV 520. Do you post on the Shopsmith forums?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I see you have a shopsmith also. I bought mine about 14 years ago and it has been a real workhorse. It has served me well. By far the best buy I ever made.
However I'm getting too old to keep changing the machine around (too old or maybe just a lousy planner:) ) so I've been buying stationary tools to replace it. All I need now is a jointer. That is about the only thing I use it for now.
Great shop and I really like the candy dispensers.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see you have a shopsmith also. I bought mine about 14 years ago and it has been a real workhorse. It has served me well. By far the best buy I ever made.
However I'm getting too old to keep changing the machine around (too old or maybe just a lousy planner:) ) so I've been buying stationary tools to replace it. All I need now is a jointer. That is about the only thing I use it for now.
Great shop and I really like the candy dispensers.
I bought mine in '92, used it a couple of years then it sat till about 4 years ago and now it gets a pretty good workout. I burned the motor up 2 years ago and bought one on Ebay to get it going again. Didn't seem to have the power it used to so I bought a new motor in June when SS had a sale.Now it's like new, lots of power. They are well built. I have the jointer, band saw, scroll saw, Lathe duplicator, wish I could afford all their attachments. I don't change it to the drill press to much as I have a couple of them. One thing I don't like is it is a little high in the table saw mode, but I'm getting used to it. Otherwise it's a great machine. I love it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Candy dispensers

Here are a couple pics of the two kinds I have made that are finished. I hope this helps get a better idea of them

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Ron

Very well done,,:) I like them ..

======

Here are a couple pics of the two kinds I have made that are finished. I hope this helps get a better idea of them

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
I was going to buy a Shop Smith years ago but then I started to get into wood working and opted not too. I was worried on the change over from one machine to the next and the time it would take.

I was under the impression the motors were guaranteed for life? Did you inquire about the terms of the guarantee? Shopsmith MARK V - Guarantee

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Thanks for the additional pictures Ron. I really like that triple dispenser :) I may have to break down an get the plan. :unsure:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was going to buy a Shop Smith years ago but then I started to get into wood working and opted not too. I was worried on the change over from one machine to the next and the time it would take.

I was under the impression the motors were guaranteed for life? Did you inquire about the terms of the guarantee? Shopsmith MARK V - Guarantee
It's guaranteed for 2 years ( long past ) . Lifetime on manufacturing and workmanship defects. Was not that either. I was trying to rip several 2x4s at a 45 deg. angle for a tray ceiling in our bedroom. Blade might have been too dull for this. I was able to use a Worm-saw from where I work and made a jig to hold the boards to finish what I needed. They also have a lifetime rebuild warranty, they would rebuild it for 1/2 the price of a new one. I had that on my Troy-bilt tiller until MTD bought them out, they won't honor that part of it. Not too sure about Shopsmith now either. I have heard that Shopsmith Inc. closed and re-opened under a new name RLF Shop ? But have kept the Shopsmith tool name. Their website still shows Shopsmith Inc though. But thanks for the info, I forgot about that untill you brought it up.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It doesn't take long to change from one tool to the next, You just have to plan your steps to making what ever it it you're making so you're not wasting time changing tools back and forth. Not bad if you are making a # of the same thing. I have found the older I got the harder it is to pickup some of the other pieces to mount them. If I had the room I would get individual tools. I still have an old 5hp table saw at my Daughters house, that I got when my dad passed away, that I haven't found room for. I won't get rid of it either, I remember he had it when I was a kid. When he retired he bought 22 acres of woods, lot of Oak trees, outside of Wisconsin Dells, and always logged fallen trees and had a saw mill cut them into boards.He even had it logged out a couple of years before he died. I have a stack of it in my basement that might keep me going for a long time.The Radial arm saw I have came from him along with a Delta 12-1/2" planer among a lot of other stuff, so that helped fill my shop up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts