Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do any of you have a radio or small stereo in your workshops? I am planning to build one using car audio gear and a 12 volt power supply. I'm using car audio gear for several reasons. First, I have been a car audio enthusiast much longer than I have been a woodworker. Second, it is made for harsher environments so I figure a little dust or cold air won't have the same effect as it would on home audio gear. Third, it just looks dang cool, and fourth, because of the components being separated, and smallish in size, I can litterally mount the CD player into the front of a custom made shelf and not lose any space from having this added, and I can custom design the speaker enclosures to fit wherever I want them to go. I can also get overall better sound from car audio from more robust designs in the speakers, and plan to use some fat 6x9 speakers for plenty of bass output at a modest power level. 4 total speakers, one in each corner of the room, probably mounted overhead and angled downwards, so they're up out of the way, not directly facing each other to avoid wave cancelations, and still cover the main work area well.

I just want some decent sound out in the shop, a head unit with a built in EQ and other audio tweaking options, not just a portable radio up on a shelf. I've even chosen my speakers not only based on sound, but also based on materials so that I can occasionally blow them out with an air hose to remove settled sawdust particles. All poly cones and mylar, PEI or PET tweeters and mids, nothing silk or fabric, since these would have dust particles stick on worse and be harder to clean out with compressed air, and possibly take damage. Currently looking at two sets of Pioneer TS-A6975R 6x9's, and a Kenwood CD player, KDC-122U. Amazon prices make these easily obtainable. Being a woodworker with a shop load of tools, making speaker enclosures and head unit housing will be easy peasy, and lots of fun. I already have a full sheet of baltic birch plywood that I can use to make the enclosures from, for a solid speaker box, with a cool look that the edges of the plywood will provide when rounded over. I would not consider this a waste of good birch plywood at all. I'd actually be inclined to buy more if needed just to make this happen.

When finished, it will be something different to say the least. What do you think? One thing I did consider was to get a head unit that plays DVD's with a pop up screen for when I wanted to watch a wood working related video in the shop, such as the instruction DVD for my Kreg jig. Totally not needed, really, but it sure would be cool in the shop!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I use a small portable radio in my shop. I have extenal speakers plugged into the earphone socket so I get better sound. The radio itself is in a polythene bag to prevent dust. Speakers are mounted at to of wall and don't appear to get too dusty. For me it's not about listening to the music so much as having background music. I like to hear the machines I'm using incase there's a problem denoted by the sound.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have an old boombox with detachable speakers that used to be my daughters when they wereyoung teenagers it has to be 25 years old and still works fine I blow off the dust every once and awhile with the compressor.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I know it won't be of much use when machines are running but I do much more in my shop than just woodworking. Mine is set up primarily as a wood shop but I just view it as a general work shop and projects of all kinds happen there. Electrical projects, designing, assembly of products purchased and brought home, even when just working around the house and making trips into the shop to prepare materials or get tools, it will be nice to have. In the assembly and finish applying stages of woodworking, the stereo will be good to have as well, and especially on shop cleaning and reorganizing days, or for when I do work on my cars, or just washing them. I can raise the garage door and disturb the neighbors. :D

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I have an old radio I bought at a yard sale for $10. I can listen to the Grand Ole Opry on WSM and that is all I need. :smile:

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
no...
as bad as the hearing is.. it'd be just more noise...

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
routine:
go down into shop
hit the lights
turn on the radio....

amazing how that thing gets 'tuned' out most of the time.. love it when cleaning up, farting around, sanding, sharpening etc....
wish I had better AM reception, word is that local politics got FM talk radio yanked and
it got picked up by an AM station.

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I enjoy working in the "shop"...projects, hanging around, cleaning, straightening up, etc... I also enjoy music when relaxing, reading, etc...sort of like good background stuff.

But I find it a bit hard to do both. I've had several different radios of odd shape and size and it always seems that I either do one or the other... Maybe it's a distraction, maybe I just can't enjoy both at the same time so I've never bothered to focus on improving the music side.

For my taste I have found it difficult to do both...so the portables I do have basically collect dust on the shelf. I bought a sound bar, sub-woofer, different size speakers, wireless, etc...still in the box they came in.

I do like your choice of using 6x9's...I don't think anything else beats them...

Good luck with your project...it sounds like you're gonna have some fun building all the enclosures you're planning...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
My son installed a system when he was in my shop a lot. I never turn it on. When the machines aren't running I enjoy the silence.

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
I replaced my receiver with an Internet capable one seeing as I have cat 5 in my garage , best decision I've ever made as I love the variety . I have been finding stations with 192 Kbps and better which I can live with . It's much superior sounding to what they put over galaxy over the cable plant (30-55kps)

Not liking your car audio approach at all. Considering you've been a car audio fan
I thought you would have realized the problem with getting hum out of the system . Power supplies are very noisy and don't have enough filter capacitors to get the ac ripple out , but if your using a high end PS maybe you'll be ok .
I'm wondering if a computer PS would have a clean enough DC output and prove me wrong?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
I have a Pyle amplifier that is hooked up to a pair of bookshelf speakers from way back...90's era. I plug in a tablet that has thousands of my favorite songs on it in mp3 format. Sometimes I use the wi-fi to connect to iheart radio, or just play videos from YouTube.

I like the oldies, doo-wop, old country, some newer country that doesn't sound like rap, and classic rock and roll. I leave it playing all of the time when I am in the shop.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,193 Posts

Attachments

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,784 Posts
When I first started going to sea in the late 80's, finding a car stereo set up into the bulkheads or consoles in the workshops or control room consoles was very common. They were small footprint, and you could mount the speakers flush or in the overhead panels. We were seldom in radio range, so the tape decks (later CD's) were in use constantly.

My current ship has a car stereo mounted in the top shelf of a bookcase in the control room, with an XM radio receiver and an AUX input jack for use with the guys phones or MP3 players. The speakers are flush in the suspended ceiling, and it makes for a clean look. The top shelf holds a 120v to 12v power supply, and a cooling fan. The front of the shelf is a piece of aluminum on a hinge to allow access.

I wish I had a better picture on hand, but you can see it in the red circle in the upper right corner.

Attachments

·
Registered
901 Posts
I had an old boom box that I bought in about 1986 or so in my shop. It played 24/7 for over 20 years until finally the speakers just disintegrated. I replaced it with a Milwaukee jobsite radio last year. I play the radio all the time, even when I'm not in the shop, hoping to keep the squirrels out. It seems squirrels like country music just fine. Rather than try acid rock, I finally got smart and just blocked up the holes where they were coming in.

While I'm on the subject, never assume rodent's aren't doing any harm just because they're cute and friendly. They carted off much of my insulation and stripped several wires down to the bare copper. I'm doing a complete down-to-the-studs renovation to replace the insulation and repair the wiring.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I replaced my receiver with an Internet capable one seeing as I have cat 5 in my garage , best decision I've ever made as I love the variety . I have been finding stations with 192 Kbps and better which I can live with . It's much superior sounding to what they put over galaxy over the cable plant (30-55kps)

Not liking your car audio approach at all. Considering you've been a car audio fan
I thought you would have realized the problem with getting hum out of the system . Power supplies are very noisy and don't have enough filter capacitors to get the ac ripple out , but if your using a high end PS maybe you'll be ok .
I'm wondering if a computer PS would have a clean enough DC output and prove me wrong?
Never had problems with hum. Bad grounds are normally the problem with that. Mine were always solid, bare metal to metal contact, and double checked to be sure. I will be using a 30 amp power supply but running it very lightly with just a head unit only. If it is a problem then I'll cross that bridge when the time comes.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
" I'm doing a complete down-to-the-studs renovation to replace the insulation and repair the wiring."
-Andy

Whoa! You're scaring the beejeesus outta Rick. Now we'll never get him to start hi... :0

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
" I'm doing a complete down-to-the-studs renovation to replace the insulation and repair the wiring."
-Andy

Whoa! You're scaring the beejeesus outta Rick. Now we'll never get him to start hi... :0
Yes that was an eye opener lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts