Router Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
I've received rude treatment at our Lowes' here in town. Have to drive 35 miles to HD. My favorite - Woodcraft Store in Tulsa, OK - was 90 miles from me. "Was" - it blew away a month ago in a tornado! Next closest one is Oklahoma City - too far. Amazon has worked for me, but I would rather go see and touch what I want. So, it's either be insulted at Lowes or spend time and gas driving driving to Fayetteville, AR.

Hey, Roy; why is it that any particular store/ service can have atrocious customer relations and their mgmt. not realize it's hurting their bottom line?
Does it start at the top and filter down? Maybe the way they treat their employees? I don't know but it is a serious problem in our society.
The flip side is of course those businesses thst jump hoops for their clients.
Lee Valley is an excellent example; I don't think I've ever been treated with anything but courteous and helpful staff. It's a pleasure doing business with them.
To be fair to my local lumberyard, in spite of their horrendous staff turnover, and the new hires' lack of knowledge, once again the service has always been very courteous and friendly.

Definitely luck of the draw on purchases/services. I'm not proselytizing for Citi Bank but their "rewind" program has been very beneficial to me on tool purchases. I use their card to buy the tool, post it to the rewind site and if they find it cheaper within 90 days they remit the difference to me. Worked very well on my last purchase, a 6" BOSCH ROS.

I guess I've taken the access to stores for granted, given where I'm located. Oakville, Ontario, midway between Toronto and Hamilton. still have access to open country by going north from the lake a few kms. The Golden Horseshoe, as the west end of Lake Ontario is known. The area runs from Toronto in the east, west along the shore of the lake and around the end of the lake to come east again on the south side to about Niagara Falls. About 6 or 7 million souls in all and counting. Big boxes abound, Lowes, HD, Rona, Home Hardware and smaller independents everywhere you turn. Lee Valley, Busy Bee mid size. I got a very good deal from Busy Bee when they had the Dewalt planer package on sale last year. There are often good deals to be made at the independents as well. Good choice of hardwood available at a number of small places in the smaller towns nearby. I've never lived in a smaller town and I guess I'm spoiled by the abundance of what's around me. Anything you want, just reach out and get it. There's a terrific tool place in Toronto that I used to frequent but the traffic and parking is now too much of a hassle. A great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. The big boxes are so into cost cutting it's hard to find anyone to help but when you do it's usually some "old guy" (lol) that at one time was in the trades and can be a good source. Unfortunately, most of the young ones don't know their a*s from a hole in the ground. We manage.

Yes, JoAnn's is a chain and they bought out the So-Fro, so that store is gone. Not much here for these kinds of things.

I am also one who prefers to see and have hands-on, but I find myself buying more and more online because of price or availability of specific items. Shipped to my door isn't bad, either.

And speaking of Lowe's. My brother-in-law thinks there's nothing better than the local Menard's, my dad like Menard's but prefers Lowes. Neither one of them care for HD - but I say Home Depot hands down.

HD actually answers questions and tends to be friendlier and excited about advising on a product. They even offer in-store classes, went to one one time just to see what they are like. Most of the stuff they are teaching, I all ready know, but I am hoping they add other kinds of stuff to make it worthwhile to go. I have looked for a tool, gadget, or even a type of wood, that often times, Lowe's and Menard's doesn't even carry, or maybe costs more.

But, Lowe's is walking/bike riding distance so I often go there and better know what I want because I will probably be on my own, or if someone does come around, they won't want to be bothered or won't know the answer.

So, I take a bus to get to HD when it's the only place or really cheap.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.