Router Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have a Shopsmith dedicated thickness planer?

Not the one that attaches to the MkV machine. It's a separate unit entirely.

If so, what has your experience been? I have a chance to get one at such a good deal I can't even tell you!

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
GRAB IT!!!!
I don't own one but I do know that the Shopsmith planers are an excellent piece of equipment.

Here is a video on Youtube you can take a look at...

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have one here in the UK. It does a great job as long as you maintain it well. In particular, you need to keep the bed clean and preferably coated with anti-stick. Blade alignment is critical, but that's no different to any other planer.
Mine was a bit noisy, due to pulley misalignment. It's a pressed steel pulley and not especially well made. I replaced mine with a cast pulley and the running noise and vibration is improved. It still shakes and rattles a bit after it's switched off and slowing down.

If you got a good deal, go for it. It will serve you well.

Regards,

Alan.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the video George. I didn't have enough common sense to think to look at youtube.

I don't know much about the unit that I'm going to look at, except that it has been sitting unused in a workshop for the past three years or so. I'll know more by the end of the day.

Alan...thanks for your comment. I will take a look at the pulley(s) and see what they are like.

Leaving in a couple of hours for the coast, so I should be there this afternoon sometime. It's a long hike! About 500 kilometres.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts