Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This CNC outfit is 13 years old. The guy wants $700. It's a homemade rig. Here's the listing.

CNC table top router 12"X24" Rotozip router head w/ vacumn hose , Mach3 w/manual , Simple Cam 2.5 D Cam software , Vis Cad, 19 carbide router bits 6 engraving bits Cd's and CNC books Machining & CNC by Fitzpatrick w/ tutorial , Asst DXF & Jpg files ,Windows 7 Intel 2.93 w/ 74Gig HD 2GB memory Roswell add on Parallel card.

I know pretty much nada about how to operate a CNC. The reason for my interest is that this is a fully functioning system. I can go see it running before I buy it. Also, it is built with extruded aluminum rails so I could unbolt and replace them with longer rails, install longer threaded rods, and triple (or more) the working size of the rig. But mainly it's just something to learn on. I eventually want to start CNC production for a living, but that's way down the road.

What concerns me is whether I would need to immediately spend hundreds of dollars on upgraded software. If so, is there another entry-level system I should consider instead?

Attachments

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,189 Posts
To be honest, for $700 it doesn't appear to be a bad deal, assuming it all works and it goes where you point it in G-code. You'll learn a lot on it, for sure. Although I wouldn't expand it, rather, I would invest in a stouter machine if I wanted greater capacity.

Welcome to the forum, Art!

David

·
Registered
476 Posts
Cardynal,

From what you have said and what you are showing, you could buy it and sell and make money I believe.

The value is there and where you can go and see it working, that is exactly what you should. You may find out you could have a lesson or two on how to operate the system. There is a learning curve as with any new item, but you will be able to learn it quickly. But, just to have been shown a bit early on will help.

Good Luck,
Tagwatts1

·
Registered
19 Posts
The others have offered sound advise. The only thing I might add (since it is homemade) is to be sure that the build is adequately documented as far as parts list, electrical diagrams, etc. With any luck you would never have to be concerned with that sort of thing but just in case there is a problem down the road.

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
Art Welcome to the Router Forums. I agree it would be a decent deal and something to learn on. I also agree that it would not be worth the time or money to make it bigger. If you really intend to do production work with a CNC I would suggest you start saving some money for a good machine while you use this one to learn on.

It looks like it will have limited Z-axis height so most of your projects will probably be flat work. You should be able to do some nice signs and you could also tryout some inlay work as well.

Reactions: MoHawk

·
Registered
485 Posts
Wonder how that would be if you were to put a Makita 9741 sander on it to grain Alum letters?
We could use something like that instead of sending it out to our finishers, which takes a while to get back.
Something small format like that can handle a few pin mounted letters for quick jobs.
Make nice custom bracket for it.

Sorry for side tracking the topic, but just seen another use for the cnc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.