Router Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fairly new Hitachi M12VC fixed base that I am enjoying. To date, I have been using it only for edgings, but am about to really embark on attempting a bookshelf and perhaps a chest once I have a grip on the basics. I believe most of my usage will be edgings, dados and rabbets and I believe I'm set for those with my fixed base. I'm just wondering if I screwed up not purchasing the kit. The store might let me upgrade, I really am not sure and certainly wouldn't push the issue, but they have been pretty leniant with upgrades before.

I'm not 100% on what functions a plunger will do that a fixed will not besides mortice and tenon work.

I guess I am trying not to feel like I screwed up, I needed this forum 2 weeks ago
:eek:

Zach

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
If you only own one router it should be a plunge. The fixed base is best to install in a router table. Click on the blogs link and select Sawdust dreams. You will find a lot of good basic information there. If they will let you upgrade you should do so.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Zach

I just watch a rerun of one of the RWS Episode and they made a mission type table and the plunge router did 90% of the work, if you get a chance to view it you will see how much the plunge router can do, I forgot how GOOD Bob and Rick are with the router and how much they can teach us about how to use it and making jigs to put the plunge router to work for you and me.

If you don't get the show on your PBS station you can see it on your computer at
http://www.thewoodworkingchannel.com/ it's worth the time to watch it.

Bj :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
My opinion is that you should have purchased the kit if you feel that the "plunging action" on the kit is suitable (it appears to be the most common complaint).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.