Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at Lowes tonight, actually looking for a very large socket I needed to work on a guy's truck I'm fixing, but I always have to look in the woodworking sections in hopes that something good is on sale or clearance. Well I found this one for $45+ my 10% off coupon which brought it down to roughly $40. I was pretty excited about the find, then reading the directions realized it won't fit my hybrid drill press, it's the one pictured where you add your own drill. Thinking I would look at getting a benchtop drill press so I could use this kit, I started looking at various reviews on this kit. A lot of them weren't very good so now I'm trying to decide if I should keep it or return it and just make them with my plunge router. I have no experience with mortise and tenon's but am very anxious to get started learning.

You can find the one I'm referring to here:
Amazon.com: DELTA 17-924 Mortising Attachment with 1/4 Inch, 5/16 Inch, 3/8 Inch, and 1/2 Inch Chisel and Bit Sets: Home Improvement

Attachments

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one thing about reviews is the people that like the things they buy more than likly will not right a review.Mine is the next step down from your it did not have the chisels with it is the only difference.I have a Craftsman drill press which I don't use any of the collars mine fits without the collars.Do you have a drill press now?
I do not have a drill press, just the type shown in the picture in my first post. I was thinking that if that one didn't work I would probably keep my eye out for a small one I can afford, which won't be a lot.

I agree with you about the reviews. I have not done many, positive or negative and have been telling myself I really need to since I rely on them so much for purchasing.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Bradleytavares...I'd love a dedicated mortising machine, but it's just out of reach right now. I was a custom cabinet make for a while and did some framing/trim work along with making some small pieces, so I do get a lot of fulfillment out of woodworking. I went on to major in photojournalism and now work at a paper, but the woodworking has been a part I have been missing out of my life and now am trying to get set up to do some furniture and art projects. So getting back in, money's an issue, anyone who knows about the journalism industry knows we don't always live comfortably, but I do love photojournalism, notice I didn't say my place of employment :)

@Bobj3...That's a big help, thanks for sharing that info with me. Any way you can email me those pics at full size?

Thanks again guys. I think I'll hold on to it, can't beat the price at $40, even if I use it a little and resell it I think I could get that out of it.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I agree with the last two post's. While I think I may not use this every time for mortise and tenon's, in the end surely I can take advantage enough times for it to be worth $40. Had I bought it at full price, I would take it back, but I can live with it collecting dust for as cheap as it was.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi everyone I thought this would be a good site to look at since I do so much with the router and the router table.I have a mortising attachment for my delta drillpress but I don't use it very much.I use a router to do all my mortising and there is no better way to do it.I use a dw625 by hand with the fence and the other stays in the router table.I use a solid carbide up cut bit to remove the chips hooked up to the shop vac.There is no interupted cut and the walls inside the mortise are smooth.I just under cut the tennons on the corners to match the radious on the mortise.
I need to learn to do them on the router too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.