Router Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished up a shoulder plane for myself today. It is made from Yellow Heart and purple heart. The wedge is purple heart,although it looks like something else. The end of the board was a brownish color.
This one is the same size as the last one I made that disappeared,it has the larger handle tilted forward.
It took a little fooling around to get it tuned to cut good, finally after 4 wedges ,the last one I made longer, to stop it from chattering when it cut. It works good now.
Herb

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
it's next level awesome Herb..

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
...couldn't possibly get any better...VERY NICE...!

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
You're going to have the smoothest wood in the state!!!

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Oh my! That's a beaut, Herb.

·
Registered
Mike
3,836 Posts
A new work of art!

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Beautiful work Herb. The blade I ordered for my try at making one came just after I headed off to work. I hope the Lee Valley one works as well as the Woodcraft one.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Beautiful work Herb. The blade I ordered for my try at making one came just after I headed off to work. I hope the Lee Valley one works as well as the Woodcraft one.
They stock 3 blades, the 01,A2,and the PM-V11® Blade, all good blades, maybe I will oder one of them too to see what the difference is. Glad you mentioned that.

Herb

Further review the Veritas are made for a low angle shoulder plane.
not sure they would work in my plane.
Herb

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
There is a cheap one for $7.90 Can for their Hong Kong made planes. I’ll let you know what I think of it once I see it.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Nice job Herb...Chuck I don't think it matters if the blade is good steel doesn't matter what it costs. You are using it for a shoulder plane and your not trying to mill stock with the blade. You could even make a blade out of an old table or circular saw blade.

Looks really nice Herb the purple heart is hard enough it should last a long time.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I finally remembered to take a picture of the blade I got from Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=76822&cat=1,230,41182,46334&ap=1 It came very sharp but a fairly coarse stone was used to grind the back so I polished it up a bit. It seems fairly hard and the bottom of the edges are blue so I'm assuming it was heat treated. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the cutting edge polished up first so I didn't bother doing more once I saw that. The back is what is pictured. I picked up some Japanese planes while I was away working. $20 for all three. The one with the LV blade on it is supposed to be a shoulder plane. The blade is on a beveled face. The middle is unusual in that the wedge goes through a separate hole in the body than the blade does. Seems to work very well that way the limited amount that I tried it. The third has a finger groove machined into it. Since the Japanese planes are meant to be pulled instead of pushed, the finger groove is very helpful in gripping it.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts