Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a few photos of your shop? Share them here and we'll build on this thread so we have a common place to post shop photos.

Your shop doesn't have to be spotless or state of the art or magazine article level, just show us your shop. Please upload the photos to this site rather than a link to some hosting service so they'll remain in this thread with no broken links or hosting errors.

Got a YouTube video of your shop? Post that, as well.

If you are building your shop and documenting it in a thread then by all means keep the build in that thread. When you finish your shop post the photos here as well as in your build thread.

I'll start if off with a panorama from a couple of years ago -
Wood Floor Toolroom Machine tool Engineering

·
Registered
52 Posts
Perhaps in the near future I will have a workspace set-up. Still planning on what size shed/building I will need to begin this journey.
Just starting out myself. No shop, just a few tools yet with more to come. My first task will be to build a work bench along with gathering some different types of wood stock .
Thank you for posting, these pictures and posts will certainly help me when choosing some power tools in the near future.
I hope to post what I come up with in this thread at some point this summer. I'm looking forward to seeing more shops in this thread.

Rob

·
Registered
806 Posts
Perhaps in the near future I will have a workspace set-up. Still planning on what size shed/building I will need to begin this journey.
Just starting out myself. No shop, just a few tools yet with more to come. My first task will be to build a work bench along with gathering some different types of wood stock .
Thank you for posting, these pictures and posts will certainly help me when choosing some power tools in the near future.
I hope to post what I come up with in this thread at some point this summer. I'm looking forward to seeing more shops in this thread.

Rob
You don't have a garage or carport?

·
Official Greeter
19,758 Posts
Color me jealous...

My 'shop' is a 10 x 10 garden shed with no floor or power.....I used to be able to work in the car port but that is now full of 'stuff'.
Plant Window Building Outdoor furniture Land lot

Reactions: Woodenhearted

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well James,
Color me with the same brush....
You sold me on an 8X10 wood shed build .
I like the way you made benches on wheels and can roll them outside. That will be perfect for my current situation in the backyard this spring.
I looked at several of those wheels just recently on amazon, but ohh so many the choose from. Reviews on some say the wheels get flat spotted so I will stay away from them. I also read, some do not hold the weight they say are suppose to.
Mind if I ask what kind you are using and what diameter wheels those are if you happen to remember?
My plan is to just use some 3/4 plywood on top of 4X4 frame for the floor, but I see myself working outdoors often on the nice days.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Do I win the messiest and most disorganized un-insulated garage shop?

It has been cold and I haven't turned on a tool for a bit. I need to pull everything out and actually organize all the tools so they are more efficient. I still have not used the Axiom either. I keep falling back to my Carvewright since it was designed for grandmas to use. I have some turning projects I want to do but my lathe is behind several tools and I have no idea where my chisels are at. Jointer and bandsaw are in there somewhere. lol

Automotive design Textile Wood Interior design Retail

·
Official Greeter
19,758 Posts
Hi @Woodenhearted

Here is a link to the build, (way back in 2009, would you believe)

If I recall the wheels were 5" swivel casters.

Reactions: Woodenhearted

·
Registered
372 Posts
I am in the process of building my shop. I have posted pictures of the build, many have seen and commented on it. I have been in a habit of cleaning as I go. It is soo easy to let it get out of hand.
It helps me stay focused. If I put things together in their group, it is easier to find what I am looking for. If someone visits, well it just looks nicer! Lol
I have 2- 10X15 storage units that I have been renting to store all of my "STUFF". When I start to bring it over, I want to have a place for everything, It will certainly take a while to get settled in. But when I do I don't want to regroup, or rethink it.

·
Registered
21,703 Posts
Well James,
Color me with the same brush....
You sold me on an 8X10 wood shed build .
I like the way you made benches on wheels and can roll them outside. That will be perfect for my current situation in the backyard this spring.
I looked at several of those wheels just recently on amazon, but ohh so many the choose from. Reviews on some say the wheels get flat spotted so I will stay away from them. I also read, some do not hold the weight they say are suppose to.
Mind if I ask what kind you are using and what diameter wheels those are if you happen to remember?
My plan is to just use some 3/4 plywood on top of 4X4 frame for the floor, but I see myself working outdoors often on the nice days.
Works OK in a temperate climate. But if you can afford it, have a concrete base poured that's double the length so you can have a nice surface to roll your tools out onto. Later, you can add a roof over the "patio" and work in the shade, and out of the rain. You can get decent 4 inch casters from Harbor Freight. An alternative to consider is to use two swivels in front, and two same size fixed casters on the back. This is much more stable and about as easy to move about than four swivels. My router table is intentionally NOT on casters. I wan that thing to be solid. Make sure the swivel casters lock both rolling and the swivel, or your tools will be unstable and harder to use.

My neighbor started with an 8x10 wooden shed on concrete base, and gradually expanded it by pouring slabs, then building extensions. He enclosed them with fencing so he doesn't need a permit. Our maximum size shed here without a permiit is 10x12. I have a 12 x 24 shed for my shop, built before the limit. It's the size half of a two car garage. Wish I'd had it set on a concrete slab instead of crushed rock. It rides on three long 2 x 6 beams and let the cold in through the one inch ply floor. I finally installed a "skirt" around it to keep the wind out, and it is much more comfortable now.

Both my shop and small office sheds are fully insulated and wired. My wife surprised me by hiring an electrician who ran a 60 amp sub panel out to the shop. Much easier than dragging a heavy extension cord out there. And no permit required. There are two breakers, for each circuit. In the box on the house, and one for each 20 amp circuit in the sub panel. I used flexible conduit with 10 gauge cables strung through them, to go from the box to the shed. Later, it was simple to connect it all up to the little office shed. Whatever my wife paid the electrician, it was worth it. Probably took him 4 hours to dig the trench and install the thing.

.I have my wood prep tools (Jointer, planer, 14 inch Laguna band saw and dust collector in my insulated garage. Ran out of space in the shop. I keep the track saw there too, along with a 4x8 foam slab for breaking down sheet goods.

Works for me. I did all this during my highest earning years, so it's all paid for.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts