Router Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not shure If this is the Fight place for this. I desided to start making the routertable from the side fence. The bottom is Wide So it can be clamped if needed. This is MkI but MkII IS already on my mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Have studied the fence issue for a long time.
You have more to sweat than just clamping. That fence will
not remain flat nor square to the table. A plastic cover (paper phenolic?) will occlude one side
of the ply and the other side will cup or bow.
Better to make it out of aluminum, plastic, even MDF will stay flatter. Moreover, Finnish or Baltic Birch will change shape too.
A great fence to get your feet wet on but not for long run.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hi Tiny... you have a good start on your first fence!

Under the heading of "Everyone has one" my opinion/observation on a first time Router Table build is is to build your table first and then fit/make your fence to the table. Build it and use it as soon as you can and you will see what you need to add to the table and fence. A lot of the bells and whistles are not used depending on what you are routing. An example of a basic table for the cost of a few bolts is here....
If you are clamping the fence to the table you would not need slots for the bolts and wing nuts to go through. Keep in mind that any straight piece of wood can be clamped down to your table and called a fence. If you buy a Router Plate invest your money in a good heavy duty one. Good luck, have fun and be safe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts